Baseball Cap

Decorating By elainemc Updated 24 Aug 2011 , 3:07am by elainemc

elainemc Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 1:19am
post #1 of 3

i am making a grooms cake next week and it includes a true size baseball cap. i want it to be as accurate as possible. should i do cake or rice krispies, and any ideas on molding or carving. this is my first high visibility cake, and im hoping to get some new buisness. any help would be appreciated. thanks

2 replies
Anne1017 Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 2:08am
post #2 of 3

Hi Elaine, congratulations!! We have done two ball cap cakes so I will tell you what works for us. I bake an 8" round and an 8" half ball (if you don't have a half ball pan I would use an additional 8" round and a 6" round then carve into the round shape) I generally need to carve a bit even using the ball pan. I also like to carve down and inward slightly on the bottom layer so that it is rounded. Cut a template for the bill out of cardboard (a soda can box works great thumbs_up.gif ) make sure that the inner curve of the bill fits around the cake part. Cut the bill out of fondant or gumpaste (we use a tiny bit of Tylose powder in our fondant to make gumpaste) Tape the template to a solid surface so that it is curved up a little, don't forget to grease the template so the fondant dosen't stick, and place the fondant over the template. After covering the hat with fondant score the seam lines from top to bottom then use a stitch roller to make the stitches. Add the "knobby thingies" dunno the correct term for that lol by making a small ball and gently pressing the end of a paintbrush into it to make the hole. I hope I remembered it all don't hesitate to ask questions if I didn't explain it well enough. Good luck! p.s. don't use a squishy filling if at all possible and don't fill between the 6" and 8" if you use them just buttercream or ganache so it will hold.

elainemc Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 3:07am
post #3 of 3

thank you so much . your cake is great . hope mine comes out half as good

Quote by @%username% on %date%