3D Ladybug Head

Decorating By mama5kiddos Updated 31 Aug 2011 , 12:00am by mama5kiddos

mama5kiddos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mama5kiddos Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 12:46am
post #1 of 5

I have made a 3D ladybug before, but using fondant and can easily make the head that way. But on a cake using ONLY buttercream, how would I make the 3D ladybug head?

4 replies
kimma1299 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimma1299 Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 12:56am
post #2 of 5

COuld you use the largest round tip and let it build up to the size you need for the head? Let it crust and then smooth a little to get out any lines or what ever. THen add the details.

mama5kiddos Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 8:19pm
post #3 of 5

That is a good idea! Thanks! It might just work too if I can get the ball big enough. I know I could just make some fondant and use that for the head, but dont really want to. Was thinking of shaping a cupcake round, and trying to frost that somehow too. But not sure if I could get it smooth enough to look good.

pickles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pickles Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 11:54pm
post #4 of 5

Depending on how large your cake is use the largest round tip you have. Start by holding the opening about in the middle of where you want the head to be and squeeze the bag. Don't raise the tip up until it is as large as what you want it to be and then slowly raise it up and allow the icing to fill in as a ball. When it crusts you can smooth it with an angled spatula and then finish off with your fingertips. Be sure to touch lightly enough to smooth and not crush the icing. I hope this helps you! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif
evelyn/cakegrandma

mama5kiddos Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 12:00am
post #5 of 5

Thanks for the tip idea, I wasnt able to acheive the results I wanted doing it that way. I ended up just carving a cupcake round, frosting it then freezing it so I can move it to the body easily. It worked! I posted a pic in my photos.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%