Why?????

Baking By MadeYaLook Updated 27 Aug 2011 , 10:31pm by cakestyles

MadeYaLook Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 12:40am
post #1 of 10

Are all of my stinkin cupcakes dry???? Grrrrrrr...................

It doesn't matter if they are scratch, box, extended, or enhanced. Every batch is dry.

I have baked at 325 and ay 350. Still dry!

Cakes that I bake with the EXACT recipe and baked at the same time come out moist and delicious!

9 replies
caymancake Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 1:07am
post #2 of 10

Try under baking them for just a minute or two.

Also maybe your oven temps are a littke off? Maybe try baking at 300?

Not sure what else to say...but chin up! The perfect cupcake will be popping out of your oven soon!

leah_s Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 1:07am
post #3 of 10

Cakes and cupcakes are different. Cupcakes you want to bake at a higher temp and fast. Cakes you want to bake at a lower temp and longer. They're bigger.
Baked goods bake from the outside in. If you bake big things hot and fast the outside sets, and then the center will raise (creating the dome on the cupcake.) You want just the opposite to happen with cakes (always larger than a cupcake) so you bake at a lower temp. The bigger the cake, the lower a temp I use.

Heat is going to dry out baked goods. Cupcakes baked low and slow will be dryer. Cupcakes baked hot and fast will be light, moist and fluffy.

MimiFix Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 1:11am
post #4 of 10

Yes, it sounds as if they are overbaked. Remove them from the oven a couple of minutes sooner. If you like the cake recipes, then you will certainly like them as cupcakes once you get the timing right.

cabecakes Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 1:18am
post #5 of 10

Might I suggest investing 3-4 dollars in an oven thermometer. It will be a godsend. If you oven isn't baking at the temperature it says it is this can be a problem for anything you bake in you oven. I recently moved and the oven here is AWFUL! It is off by A LOT. I was burning everything. I went and bought an oven thermometer and everything is going a lot better for me.

kisamarie Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 1:57am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabecakes

Might I suggest investing 3-4 dollars in an oven thermometer. It will be a godsend. If you oven isn't baking at the temperature it says it is this can be a problem for anything you bake in you oven. I recently moved and the oven here is AWFUL! It is off by A LOT. I was burning everything. I went and bought an oven thermometer and everything is going a lot better for me.

You would be amazed at how far, even a brand new oven can be off! Get a temperature gage, it may solve your problem.

josilind Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 11:14pm
post #7 of 10

I bake my cupcakes at 18 mins and they are perfect everytime but you know every stove is different and dont know what your altitude is, but my take 18 mins, if I do 19 , I am really pushing it and I can tell the difference in the cupcake.

MadeYaLook Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 2:22pm
post #8 of 10

Thank you all for the advice! Just bought the house, ovens were tested, and I do know that the temps of my oven are pefect, so that isn't the issue. So, going into this, I kinda knew that this was completely user error.

So it does appear as though overcooking is my problem.

So Leah_s........is 350 not hot enough? Do you recommend going even hotter..375? I will obviously experiment, just wanted to see what you thought.

Again, thanks to all! I feel like a dummy! icon_smile.gif

Paperfishies Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 10:20pm
post #9 of 10

I preheat my oven to 400 degrees...then I put the cupcakes in and turn the oven down to 350...They come out perfect every time.

cakestyles Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 10:31pm
post #10 of 10

If you want the cupcakes to dome, preheat the oven at a higher temp and than lower the temp after putting the cupcakes in.

If you want them to bake up evenly without much of a dome, preheat and bake at the same temp.

I always bake CC's at 350 and I don't like too much of a dome so I preheat at 350 also.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%