Ok The Time Is Finally Here To Decorate ! Help!

Decorating By funtodecorate2 Updated 24 Aug 2011 , 12:18am by funtodecorate2

funtodecorate2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funtodecorate2 Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 11:02pm
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone,
I'm just a once in a while cake decorator. Only for family and few friends. My daughters wedding is this sat. Finally! I'm doing a 5 tier butter cream, fondant roses, and cricit cake heart scrolls . I've been trying the rosette technique and the quilting technique. I've drawn it up and can see it im my mind but I can be over the top . icon_surprised.gif my nature.
So bottom 14" -rosettes
12" -quilting with heart cut outs and pearls staggered
10" heart scrolling
8" quilting with hearts and pearls staggered
6" heart scrolling
stagger fondant roses and filler flowers around cake top then few down one side , then down a layer and use other side, then down a layer on the other side till I get to the bottom. so they would be staggered left to right with the flowers. I want to do all these techniques at once! icon_biggrin.gif Is this TOO MUCH??
If it were a square cake I could try something different on each LOL just joking. I'm too new at this to be making these kind of decisions . LOL[/img]

6 replies
Mexx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mexx Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 11:28pm
post #2 of 7

If you're new to cake decorating why are you making this so hard on yourself? Why not keep it simple....pick a technique that you've mastered and build your cake design around it. You're the MOB'. Don't stress yourself out with the cake. Enjoy the day and the lead up to it.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 11:29pm
post #3 of 7

First: Congratulations. I know you must be so very excited. What a great celebration.

As far as whether it's too much, I'd look at two things. One, are you up to the task (time and stress wise) for this design. And if you are, then is this a design the bride and groom will love? If the answer is yes to both of these, you're good to go. Plus, if as you are doing the cake you get a feel it's too much, you can always adjust the design as you go. Have fun with it.

funtodecorate2 Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 11:43pm
post #4 of 7

I've done probably about 7 wedding cakes. I have done everything for their wedding from flowers silk, programs, invite, jewlery, doing the food with help from7 friends for 200, I love this stuff and have actually paced myself rather well. I've watched lots of tutorials and tried to read carefully what you all say . I've bought the sps system. I've practiced all three techniques and feel pretty confident . They are both very easy going and have appreciated me offering to do this stuff. The groom doesn't care and my daughter likes the techniques but I didn't show her how I would lay it out. Mainly because I wasn't to get your opinions first, She honestly doesn't care, because she knows I will do my best and everything will be wonderful. Actually I'm more worried about making the frosting smoothe and looking level and stacking because I've never used that system before. I've watched the tutorial and will again and again. I guess I'm also asking if the design to you is too busy or can you visilize it ?

knlcox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knlcox Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 11:47pm
post #5 of 7

Congrats! My 20 year old just got married! It sounds like it's going to be a great cake! Draw it out, color it in and step back to really see it. Only you know your limitations and judging by your photos I think you'll do great! Good luck and post pics!

knlcox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knlcox Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 11:58pm
post #6 of 7

From what I read and visualize in my head I think it's not too busy. Once you get started you can change things if it becomes too much.

funtodecorate2 Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 12:18am
post #7 of 7

Thanks so much for the help and advice. I really aprreciate it. I'm excited about it all icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%