Lid For Cake Help

Decorating By suziecupcake Updated 28 Aug 2011 , 10:15pm by suziecupcake

suziecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suziecupcake Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 9:07pm
post #1 of 9

request for jewel box which has a lid how do i make a lid which is upright (open) ?? icon_confused.gif

8 replies
WillowsCry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WillowsCry Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 9:27pm
post #2 of 9

Here is a picture of a cake similar to what you described. They used fondant to make the lid.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2134759/

Hope that helps some.

Anne1017 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anne1017 Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 9:31pm
post #3 of 9

It depends if you will see inside or not. For our beer stein cake [/url]http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2021313[url] we built the lid on a piece of foam core board and let it dry for several days. To put it on the cake we cut the dowels an inch or so above the top of the cake then using very thick royal icing glue the lid to the board and the board leaning on the back edge of cake and on dowels. Where the hinge is I stuck a dowel just behind the lid to keep it from sliding while the royal dried. We didn't dowel where the lid sits on the back of the cake and didn't have any trouble but now that I'm typing it out that was a pretty risky move lol. Now this all only works if you don't see the inside hence the beer foam. If you do need to see inside the first idea off the top of my head is to cut a wedge shape out of RCT cover it with the same fondant as the inside of box. Make the lid the same as above and dowel and glue as before too. Of course I don't usually find flaws in my ideas until I'm half-way into the project so fair warning lol. Good luck![/url]

suziecupcake Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 9:32pm
post #4 of 9

this cake is gorgeous !! the cake i shall be doing the lid is standing upright and i dont know how to keep it upright ???

Anne1017 Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 9:35pm
post #5 of 9

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2021313[img][/img] Obviously having trouble adding images sorry icon_smile.gif

suziecupcake Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 9:36pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by suziecupcake

this cake is gorgeous !! the cake i shall be doing the lid is standing upright and i dont know how to keep it upright ???

thank you anne 1017 the idea od the cardboard covered in fondant is a good idea !!!

suziecupcake Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 9:42pm
post #7 of 9

OMG ANNE THIS IS STUNNING !!! BUT MY LID WILL BE VERTICAL

Anne1017 Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 12:12am
post #8 of 9

Hmmm...you had to be difficult didn't you icon_wink.gif lol. Well I'm thinking RCT on dowels. (if the lid will be thick enough to put dowels in of course, don't be even more difficult mmkay?) I dunno if any of this helps at all, I can see it clearly in my head though lol.

suziecupcake Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 10:15pm
post #9 of 9

haha i will try this it will need support whatever happens thanks anne !!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%