Walmart Uses Bettercreme???????

Decorating By angelleyes Updated 24 Aug 2011 , 10:28pm by Rose_N_Crantz

angelleyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelleyes Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 8:21pm
post #1 of 17

So I was in walmart and I thought I would look for some Bettercreme... After all the talk I read about it. I wanted to give it a try. Of course I couln't find it.. I was in the frozen food section where they keep the whip cream. I figured that it would be there.. No luck so I asked someone.. After going through 2 ladies one of the ladies asked another lady (maybe her boss).. So we asked she thought for a minute.. She said it's a frosting right? I said yea I guess you can say that... She said nooo we don't sell it here but it is in the bakery....????? I thought for a second and said do u guys use that as your frosting? And she answered yes... Didn't know if you guys were aware of that or not. Just thought i'd share

16 replies
Jess155 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jess155 Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 8:42pm
post #2 of 17

I wouldn't be surprised. Sam's uses Bettercreme, and they are the same company.

angelleyes Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 8:52pm
post #3 of 17

yep she told me I could probly buy it at sams lol

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 8:58pm
post #4 of 17

Yeah... most grocery stores use it. Some don't label it.. the one up the road here calls it bestcream. It's cheap, shelf stable for up to 5 days, and pretty fool proof so it shouldn't be surprizing to hear they use it.

Now flavor... not so much IMHO. I can't eat the stuff... it has an odd mouth feel.

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 9:24pm
post #5 of 17

i have seen posts here about it but don't exactly know what it is. is it like a crusting shortening based frosting?

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 9:34pm
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakencake

i have seen posts here about it but don't exactly know what it is. is it like a crusting shortening based frosting?

Bettercreme is a whipped topping. Like Cool Whip but a little sweeter and more stable. I think Dairy Queen might also use it to decorate their ice cream cakes.

Edit: It does not crust, but gets a "dry, airy" texture at room temperature. So only work with it chilled.

Baker_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baker_Rose Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 9:37pm
post #7 of 17

Bettercreme is a brand name for a Non-Dairy Whipped Topping. It's made of a chemical cocktail of hydrogenated oils and high fructose corn syrup with a whole lot of stabilizers. You can buy it in some cake supply shops if they sell refrigerated supplies in a quart or gallon carton. You pour it into the mixing bowlk it's thick like real heavy cream, and whip to a stiff peak. If you over whip it, well, it's nasty and hard, but if whipped correctly it's like working with whipped cream. I have seen some bakeries buy it pre-whipped in buckets as well.

The name "Bettercreme" is from the Rich's company, but there are other commercial non-dairy whipped toppings out there available on a commercial level. The company say's it is stable out of the refrigerator, but any time I have worked with it, it gets W*E*I*R*D if it isn't kept cold. The texture breaks down into a gelatin looking and tasting consistency.

Tami icon_smile.gif

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 9:38pm
post #8 of 17

I've tried it and can't stand it. I was curious about it after reading some things about it, but I was like "wrong name" after I ate it.

flamingobaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flamingobaker Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 9:44pm
post #9 of 17

Once after being told that Sam's/Wal-Mart sells "Bettercream" I went there to purchase some. What they sold (at my store) was "But-R-Cream"! Definately not the same thing, so I would make sure they are hearing you correctly.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 10:34pm
post #10 of 17

I don't think they use it for their standard buttercream. I think they offer a whipped version which may be Bettercreme. I remember having a Wal Mart buttercream cake a long time ago but it was definitely not Bettercreme. It was much thicker like a standard BC.

That being said, I really don't get the hype about Bettercreme. It tastes like Cool Whip to me and I like my icing with a little more substance to it.

mariacakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariacakestoo Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 10:49pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker_Rose

It's made of a chemical cocktail of hydrogenated oils and high fructose corn syrup with a whole lot of stabilizers.

Mmmm, just the wording I was looking for to attract customers.

AliBakes6167 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AliBakes6167 Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 11:06pm
post #12 of 17

[quote="mariacakestooMmmm, just the wording I was looking for to attract customers.[/quote]

thumbs_up.gif

angelleyes Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 11:08pm
post #13 of 17

Well it's a good think I have never have walmarts whipped icing.. My feeling is that if its supposed to be on a cake it's supposed to be good and fattening lol.. I don't care for whipped. well not from the store anyway.. I read of few ladies on here mix the bettercreme with other things to make fillings which sound very yummy. But when the lady told me they used that ,I was hmmmmm ewww lol.. No offense to anyone at walmart.. I have had their buttercreme and thought it was nasty

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 11:55pm
post #14 of 17

Sam's sells buttercream by the bucket too... well some do. You have to be specific.

I think it's nasty too, but different strokes for different folks and all.

Paperfishies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paperfishies Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 2:40am
post #15 of 17

The walmarts around here use something produced by Dawn (is that bettercream?) I don't like it...I do love whatever icing Kroger uses, though.

angelleyes Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 2:52am
post #16 of 17

I don't know if that's the same or not... Me and my dad was just talking about kroger the other day.. When we used to live in Indiana when I was little apparently everyone raves over all their bake goods... He says they use a touch of lemon for everything...lol I dunno how true it is but apperently everyone up north go crazy over them

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 10:28pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingobaker

Once after being told that Sam's/Wal-Mart sells "Bettercream" I went there to purchase some. What they sold (at my store) was "But-R-Cream"! Definately not the same thing, so I would make sure they are hearing you correctly.

Sam's calls their buttercream But'R'Creme because it contains neither butter or cream.

A word of advice for those that want to buy Bettercream from Sam's or Walmart (and I say this from experience, I used to work at Sam's) ask to buy their Whipped Topping. The bakeries and stores are so noisy that when a customer says softly they want to purchase a bucket of Bettercream, it sounds A LOT like buttercreme. They're not trying to cheat you or sell you a different product on purpose, they just can't hear you. So just ask for the Whipped Topping. It makes it easier for everyone. Even the workers don't call it Bettercream, they call it Whipped.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%