What Is The Best Tasting "sand" And How To Stick O

Decorating By pinklatte Updated 24 Aug 2011 , 2:22am by lorimarie

pinklatte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklatte Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 7:23pm
post #1 of 12

I need to make a beach themed cake and over half the cake is going to be "sand." What is the best tasting sand that you've made, how do you make it, and how do you get it to stick on fondant?

11 replies
mandyloo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandyloo Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 7:30pm
post #2 of 12

My favorite mixture for sand is equal parts brown sugar, nilla wafers, and graham crackers pulverized in the blender. Very tasty.
I've only ever stuck it to buttercream, but I would imagine piping jel could help with attach it to fondant?

edited to add: this is what it ends up looking like. It was only on the top of the fondant cake, so I didn't really need to do anything to make it stick.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1372411
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2094458

Moovaughan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moovaughan Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 7:31pm
post #3 of 12

Last night was a repeat of a cake contest and it was a swimwear theme. The winners sand was aweseom and it was a mix of crushed graham crackers, brown sugar and a little bit of ground coffee. This gives a good color variation.

MissLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissLisa Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 7:33pm
post #4 of 12

When I make my sand I use graham crackers, vanilla wafers and pretzels, put all of them into a food processor and turn it into sand. You may want to add some coarse ground salt after it's all mixed together, gives it a little bit of sparkle.

Generally I brush a thin coat of piping gel onto the area that I want the sand and then use a piping bag (with a decent size hole - I use parchment bags so I can cut it larger if needed) to direct where you want the sand to go. Just remember, it's a lot like real sand, it will be everywhere if you're not careful. Don't put it on too thick or it will shift when transporting.

Good Luck
Lisa

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 7:39pm
post #5 of 12

Pecan Sandies (cookies) work very well. I just put them in a large ziplock back and beat them with a rolling pin until they are pulzerized! It's also good for getting out my frustrations!

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 7:52pm
post #6 of 12

I use brown sugar and vanilla wafers in the food processor.

Kimmaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmaf Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 8:19pm
post #7 of 12

I also used vanilla wafers and brown sugar...looked great and tasted good too!

pinklatte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklatte Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 1:22am
post #8 of 12

Thanks everyone, I've got a lot of great ideas here. I already have the graham crackers and some of the other ingredients. Now I just need to get piping gel and practice a little before I do the real thing.

annacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annacakes Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 1:35am
post #9 of 12

White sugar mixed with Cinnamon. Yum.

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 1:40am
post #10 of 12

I use animal crackers mixed with brown sugar. Then just attach with frosting, pressing in.

Stephanie

akrainis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akrainis Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 1:46am
post #11 of 12

I use pulverized Cheerios and I know another baker who bakes extra cake crumbs until they are crunchy and crushes those up as sand.

lorimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorimarie Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 2:22am
post #12 of 12

I like to use chips a hoy cookies just crush in the food processor, its a real nice sandy color, the chocolate chips give a little depth to the color, and then I sprinkle a tiny bit of gold disco dust over.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%