Competition Cakes And Wires, Question

Decorating By thecakestand Updated 23 Aug 2011 , 11:41pm by thecakestand

thecakestand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakestand Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 7:22pm
post #1 of 8

I was wondering, if you are using a styrofoam dummy to make a competition cake do you have to use the special cake safe wires? Do you know if they will take off points if you don't? Also, if I am wrapping those wires in floral tape does it really matter? Is floral tape ok to be in or on cake?

Thanks!

7 replies
dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 9:45pm
post #2 of 8

It depends on the judges and how the rules are written. Different shows will judge that differently. Check to see if they talk about that at all.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 10:03pm
post #3 of 8

Definitely you have to check the rules carefully. In general, you don't want to use floral tape because most has latex in it, and you never know what has a latex allergy.

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 10:43pm
post #4 of 8

The judges at most shows view every cake as real, even if they know (or assume) that dummies are used.

All wires must be taped, but should not be bulky or have loose ends.

Even if you use a blob of fondant to secure the flowers the wires must not show. If they can see the holes where the wires were inserted they will take off points. The easist way to fix this is to make fresh leaves and place them in natural positions over the holes. This works beautifully.

Just remember, neatness counts the most.

Good luck at the show. If it's the Tulsa show you are entering, every detail counts.

Michele

thecakestand Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 11:06pm
post #5 of 8

The rules do not say anything about the wires or tape. I have read the rules at least 10 times to make sure I'm covering my bases. This will be my first time to enter any type of competition, so I'm nervous! Thank you for the responses!

Sugarflowers, would you recommend attaching them in another way other than just poking the wires in? I've never actually put flowers on any cake other then just laying it on top, but there were no wires in that flower. Would royal icing be better? They will not be cascading down the side of the cake or anything like that, they will just be on the flat parts of the cake and/or board. Thanks for the tips!

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 11:30pm
post #6 of 8

Royal icing will work, but if the judges can see where the wire were inserted they will take off points.

If you can push your flowers against the cake where they look like they are laying on the cake the judges won't be able to see the wires. Even if the wires in your flowers and leaves are going to be buried, the wires should be taped. The tape helps prevent the flowers and leaves from spinning or sliding.

HTH

Michele

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 11:35pm
post #7 of 8

You can also just use gumpaste glue or vanilla. Practice a bit ahead of time to see if you like the results with it. Be extra careful still that if you have holes in your flowers because maybe you made them on a toothpick, that you hide those holes in the flowers very well. It's easy to focus on watching the front of the flower and placing it just as you like and forget that hole is sticking out someplace.

thecakestand Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 11:41pm
post #8 of 8

Got it! Thank you both very much I really appreciate the help thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%