Pricing Question,they Want To Change The Number Of Serving

Decorating By mookamoo Updated 25 Aug 2011 , 3:49am by LoveMeSomeCake615

mookamoo Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 7:05pm
post #1 of 7

Hi,
I have a customer going through an event planning service. The event planner contacted me last night saying that they want to change the number of servings from 300 to 250. The wedding is September 10th and they have already paid for their cake. They did not say anything about getting money back but I am wondering if that is what they are wanting?? Oh, They want to confirm the final count for the cake on Monday August 29th. I am not really sure because no one has wanted to change the amount of servings on a wedding cake this close to the date after everything is ordered and paid for.
Thanks,
Jamie
I was wondering if anyone could share their policy on how to do this.
Thank you,
Jamie

6 replies
lilmissbakesalot Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 7:20pm
post #2 of 7

My policy states that once you have paid for your cake... your transaction is done. I always tell people that if they have to choose between a range go with the lower number and we can always add a kitchen cake if needed. Once you pay it is final. You can always go up but not down. It can throw off the whole design.

BlakesCakes Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 4:44am
post #3 of 7

I can't believe that they'd bother to tell you to cut it down by 50 servings if they weren't expecting $$$ back.

It's a small percentage of a 300 serving cake, but it's big enough to force you to change the design. At this late date, I wouldn't accept any changes-- without a change fee, that is--equal to oh, say, 50 servings.........

Tell them that you'll provide them several boxes FOR FREE to take home, or give away, the extra servings.

Sheesh........
Rae

caymancake Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 5:10am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

I can't believe that they'd bother to tell you to cut it down by 50 servings if they weren't expecting $$$ back.

It's a small percentage of a 300 serving cake, but it's big enough to force you to change the design. At this late date, I wouldn't accept any changes-- without a change fee, that is--equal to oh, say, 50 servings.........

Tell them that you'll provide them several boxes FOR FREE to take home, or give away, the extra servings.

Sheesh........
Rae

I agree! thumbs_up.gif

angelleyes Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 5:10am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Sheesh........
Rae

I soo agree with this.. That was my fist thought when I read your post... Sorry about their luck!!

ajwonka Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 2:08am
post #6 of 7

My policy says they can change the number of servings after paying the initial deposit but before paying the balance. I don't buy ingredients until the final check clears so it really doesn't affect me much. I do charge if they change the servings so that it causes a change in the design (usually greater than a 10% change). Most would probably say I'm too lenient, though!

LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 3:49am
post #7 of 7

Our policy is no changes after 30 days from the event date. If it's nothing too crazy, we will bend that rule, but we need a month before to ensure we have time to order any special supplies for their design, etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%