I Just Felt My First Earthquake......

Lounge By Baker_Rose Updated 25 Aug 2011 , 2:59pm by SarahBeth3

ShandraB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShandraB Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 11:50pm
post #31 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill

Yeah I'm so upset because I DIDN'T feel it. I was out on the freakin' sidewalk taking a late lunch and did not feel a thing! Everyone in my office building felt it as well as my old employer across the street. My mom, husband, and friend felt it too. How the hell can you be out on the street and not feel a thing?

It was my first quake too - I'm in central Virginia, but not too close to the epicenter. My whole desk/computer monitor was shaking. My husband was one building over and didn't feel a thing!

SarahBeth3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahBeth3 Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 11:57pm
post #32 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShandraB

It was my first quake too - I'm in central Virginia, but not too close to the epicenter. My whole desk/computer monitor was shaking. My husband was one building over and didn't feel a thing!

Wow! That's crazy.

ReneeFLL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReneeFLL Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 11:57pm
post #33 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

A 5.9 quake isn't too bad...the Loma Pretia quake in the San Francisco area in 1989 was 7.1, so it was more than 10 times as strong as today's quake.

Jason, were you in Milpitas at that time? We lived in the foot hills, but the company I worked for was at 3050 Zanker Road which is not far from Milpitas. I happened to be leaving work when it hit and the security doors sensor thought that someone was trying to break in while I was trying to get out. I freaked thinking I would not be able to get out even after hitting the door release button about 10 times. I hate earthquakes. Coming from Texas I prefer hurricanes because you can leave when they come.

Looks like Irene is going to miss me here in Florida, but I wish the rest of the east coast to be safe from it. Also hope everyone is safe from the earthquake.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 12:02am
post #34 of 50

I'm in Ohio and we felt it here too. Most people didn't even notice it, but there were some that did. Our human resources manager said it shook the blinds in his office and another girl was in the restroom and said the stall was shaking and rattling. She thought she was loosing it. LOL.

cohen1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cohen1 Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 12:07am
post #35 of 50

This will be my 4th earthquake. I have been through two in Virginia, one in California and one in Santo Domingo (I was a baby so I dont remember this one at all).
I am in Richmond, I felt it but at first I thought it was just me. Then I looked around and everyone was holding onto the walls and tables. For me the scariest part was not being able to reach anyone. All the lines were busy so I couldn't reach my parents, my hubby or my son. I finally tried my blackberry IM feature and that worked.

My parents live in Mineral VA which is where the quake originated from. They are fine, lots of stuff came off the walls and shelves but are ok.

If you are ever interested the US Geological Survey site is fantastic. They have a ton of info out there on eathquakes and other weather events. Did you know that today alone (8/23) there were 29 earthquakes!!???!

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/quakes_all.php

Barbara

littleredtonya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littleredtonya Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 12:14am
post #36 of 50

Felt it here is Wonderful West Virginia also.

WillowsCry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WillowsCry Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 12:30am
post #37 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gscout73

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowsCry

Well, the 3 tier wedding cake I was working on didn't collapse so I guess I stacked it well. At least I can tell the bride it was earthquake tested and approved. I'm in NC btw.

I can see your advertising now....."Earthquake tested, Mother Nature approved!!"

icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

I am so going to add that to my tag line on my business cards!! LMAO thumbs_up.gif

Edited to add: I think I will wait to change my business cards until after the hurricane passes, then I really can boast about how sturdy my cakes are!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 12:50am
post #38 of 50

I thought it was my kids messing around at first, too! Pretty cool....

Now I'm concerned about power outages for Irene coming up the coast...hope not...got wedding cakes to shop for, bake, and decorate!!!

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 1:15am
post #39 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneeFLL

Jason, were you in Milpitas at that time? We lived in the foot hills, but the company I worked for was at 3050 Zanker Road which is not far from Milpitas.

Nope, only lived in the bay area since 2005 (lived in NJ before that). The only significant earthquake I've ever experienced was the 5.6 Alum Rock quake back in 2007, that one was similar to a series of heavy trucks going by.

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 1:58am
post #41 of 50

Well if we had anything I wouldn't have noticed because of all the construction trucks working in the development. My son in NJ called to tell me he felt the tremor-his first. I grew in up in Southern CA so I probably wouldn't have thought too much about it. Kinda of weird experience the first time though.

kellikrause Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellikrause Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 2:21am
post #42 of 50

Get them quite often here in AK, seems like every other month we get a good one. icon_smile.gif

juleskaye518 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleskaye518 Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 2:22am
post #43 of 50

I was standing in the parking lot at the beach in Virginia Bch and my feet went one way, the car I was standing next to another way and I swear the ground another way. I was instantly hit with nausea and didn't even know what was going on. I never thought I'd feel one here!

am2pm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
am2pm Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 2:40am
post #44 of 50

I was sitting out on the porch & everything started creaking and shaking. When it was over, I thought I should call my DH but I was afraid he would say I was crazy. Then he called me & he felt it too. We have reservations to go to the beach this weekend & now with Irene coming up the coast, I told my DH wouldn't it be something to experience an earthquake & a hurricane in one week! Who would have thought it.

Irish245 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Irish245 Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 3:01am
post #45 of 50

I am in Butler, Pa - just north of Pittsburgh. I was sitting at my desk studying and my desk started shaking. I quickly looked around behind me both ways, thinking my husband was pushing it when I wasn't looking. I quickly realized nobody was in my office and yelled to my husband, "Did you feel that?". He responded, "Did I feel what?" and then he said he looked at the lazyboy and it was moving side to side. When I yelled to him, I stood up and quickly grabbed my cup of tea so it would not spill (next to my computer). That fast it was over. Freaky and did NOT like it! It was my first earthquake.

lecie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecie Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 3:40am
post #46 of 50

I thought it was the house, it was about to collapse. I started screaming and running upstairs to grabbed the baby I was sitting, whom was asleep. I ran out the house with the other 4 kids. Thats when I realized it was an earthquake and seeing all my neighbors outside too. I was so fraeky scaried. First earthquake here in America for me in MD. Im from the islands. I experience a few when I was a child there.

Crazyforcupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazyforcupcakes Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 12:05am
post #47 of 50

I felt it here in Columbus, Ohio, too, although most of my family members in nearby towns did not. I was typing an e-mail on my computer, and I noticed the chair shaking. I honestly thought that I was having some kind of medical episode or something! Then when I saw the computer shaking, I thought that maybe it was a small earthquake. Freaky!

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 12:53am
post #48 of 50

I live just outside of Wash. D.C. (Arlington) and it was my son's birthday (turned 5). We were at a movie theater when our seats were shaking us left and right. I thought the building was about to collapse so my husband and I took our three kids and walked out (as did everyone else).
Ceiling tiles were smashed on the floor. It was my first experience and definitely a birthday for my son to remember!

kaseynh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseynh Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 12:54am
post #49 of 50

The night before, my animals (two cats and a dog)were going nuts running around and we couldn't figure out what was up with them. We were out and about on Tuesday when it hit and didn't feel a thing. In the car on the way home we were talking about the animal's behavior and I said they were acting like we were going to get an earthquake. When we got home, I learned there actually was one and our area felt the tremors! I guess if they behave weird again I'll pay more attention!

SarahBeth3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahBeth3 Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 2:59pm
post #50 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adevag

...Ceiling tiles were smashed on the floor. It was my first experience and definitely a birthday for my son to remember!

Oh man! I'm glad none of you were hurt!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%