I Need Help

Business By coloradoflower Updated 24 Aug 2011 , 2:40am by MimiFix

coloradoflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coloradoflower Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 3:40pm
post #1 of 6

So I found a kitchen that I can use to bake my stuff and sell. I'm in the process of getting a business license. Have anyone gotten a government grant to start up their business? Are there any hints you can share. If I don't get this grant then I can't do any of it.

5 replies
CSIMisty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CSIMisty Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 1:23am
post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradoflower

So I found a kitchen that I can use to bake my stuff and sell. I'm in the process of getting a business license. Have anyone gotten a government grant to start up their business? Are there any hints you can share. If I don't get this grant then I can't do any of it.

Hey Coloradoflower,

Google it or check out your chamber of congress. I'm in GA and have been repeatedly told (Clark Howard's website) that there are no government grants. I've been told that you should ask family and friends.

An idea might be to host a tasting party. Make several small cakes or cupcakes with different flavors/fillings/icings/decorations. See if you can get business that way.

kisamarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kisamarie Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 1:36am
post #3 of 6

I have been researching the subject as well, and what I have been told, by the small business bureau in my state, TX, is "You will be hard pressed to find a grant for a 'for profit' business." This was sad to me because I qualify as a native Alaskan, and Im a woman. I thought there were tons of opportunities out there, so far im coming up with zilch icon_sad.gif

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 1:48am
post #4 of 6

If the kitchen is already set up for rental by the hour you shouldn't need too much money to get started, maybe a couple thousand to buy initial ingredients, supplies, and equipment.

With the federal govt cutting their spending, states will barely have enough money to keep maintaining critical infrastructure, let alone giving handouts to new businesses.

WillowsCry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WillowsCry Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 2:13am
post #5 of 6

You might want to check with your local small business center or agency. There are some that will "incubate" other small businesses to help them get started.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 2:40am
post #6 of 6

Create your own "coupons" and sell to friends, relatives, neighbors, coworkers. In exchange for xxx amount of money that they will give you upfront, they can redeem the coupon for baked goods at a later date. Sort of like your getting lots of little loans that will be repaid with product after you're in business. You set all the terms. Many of my students have used this to raise enough capital to get started.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%