First Time Fondant Tools Needed/batman Cake Ideas?

Decorating By juliejoyce Updated 23 Aug 2011 , 6:02pm by traci_doodle

juliejoyce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juliejoyce Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 3:11pm
post #1 of 12

I have been making cakes here and there since my son was born (almost) 4 years ago. My mom has always made cakes and taught me how to pipe on buttercream frosting. I have made cakes this way for both of my sons birthdays as well as some family friends. This year however, my son is SUPER into Batman and super heroes in general. I hope to make a simple batman cake, perhaps a round cake covered in yellow fondant using black fondant (or combo of fondant/gum paste) to shape the bat on top. Being my first time using fondant, I'm thinking this is hopefully not too ambitious. I then plan on making cupcakes either with piped buttercream (for taste for the kids) or possibly decorating those with fondant as well - just not sure if it will taste okay? Anyhow, here is my dilemma. Being that I have never worked with fondant before, I'm not sure what I will need? I saw a mat made by sweet wise that looks like it might make the process easier, but I'm not sure if it will be a waste of money? Also, do I need a special roller? Also, I have seen many varying opinions on types of fondant. As a beginner, I was planning on either getting fondx or fondarific fondant, but have also considered making marshmallow fondant. Thoughts? I guess I'm trying to figure out exactly what I'll need as a first time fondant user. Thanks so much!!!

11 replies
Jennewill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennewill Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 3:40pm
post #2 of 12

I'm anxious for responses on this as well. I'm a newbie and just started working with fondant this month. As for tools, what I have used on the two cakes I've made thus far are, a pizza cutter, and a silicon rolling pin. I have to say the silicon rolling pin is hands down the absolute best purchase I have ever made. For smaller shapes and cutouts, I have used either metal cookie cutters, or a very sharp knife. I did buy a fondant tool kit, but found the little itty bitty cutter to be messy to work with. I ditched it for a sharp knife I already had on hand. (The thinner the blade, the better I think). I don't even know what to do with the other tools yet. I'm sure they will do some cool stuff once I learn a little more. Lol

As for fondant brands, I tried the Duff brand from Michael's. I think I saw a post somewhere previously where people were saying that is what used to be fondarific. I could be mistaken on that. I also used Satin Ice butter cream fondant. They both tasted VERY different. I couldn't decide if I liked one over the other. They were just... different. For me personally, I would never consider making my own right now due to having too much on my plate already.

Good luck, and I hope you'll keep us posted on how it goes along.

juliejoyce Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 3:48pm
post #3 of 12

Thanks so much! Hopefully someone will respond. For now, maybe I'll take a ride to Michael's today and try the Duff brand. I know I've read everywhere that Wilton is gross, so I'm going to skip that. The recipe for Marshmallow Fondant seemed easy, but who the heck knows if it really is! I will get a silicone rolling pin. Did you see the Sweet Wise mat? It looks like it would be very helpful, at least in applying the fondant, but since I've never used fondant, I'm not sure if it would be a waste? Ha! At this point, I am about to buy everything online and need to reign myself in! I love to make cakes and would eventually consider having a very small side business (after I get really good of course), so I don't see anything as a big waste of money, just want to make sure I am not buying stuff just to buy stuff!

Jennewill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennewill Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 4:01pm
post #4 of 12

I looked up this Sweet Wise mat. I've gone with the idea that if the pro's don't use it, I don't need it either. I've had fine success with just rolling it over the rolling pin. But it certainly is tempting to try that mat.

I also forgot to mention the fondant smoother. Saw that in a picture on the sweet wise page. That is a must as well.

Another tip, is to stick the dirty iced cake into the freezer for a few minutes before putting the fondant on it. Don't remember where I heard/read that, but I was able to get a smoother look that way.

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 4:10pm
post #5 of 12

If you're just looking for tools for one or two fondant cakes, you'll need a silicone roller ( Michael's sells them) and fondant. I make my own because I always have and prefer the taste. You don't need a fondant smoother, mat, etc. Just grease your counter and roll the fondant on there. Later you can invest in tools as you need them!

nana2me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nana2me Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 4:21pm
post #6 of 12

I use Marshmallow fondant (MMF-Easy Peasy! Made using a kichen aid mixer-recipe on here) because I find it the easiest to work with and the easiest to make.

I don't have a big mat (just a small one) but I don't use it anyways. Make sure you have cornstarch on hand and this with prevent the fondant from sticking to everything. I bought an x-acto knife that I just use for my cakes and a pizza cutter. And even though I have a fondant smoother, I find smoothing it with my hands to be a lot easier.

I hope this helps!

nana2me Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 4:21pm
post #7 of 12

I use Marshmallow fondant (MMF-Easy Peasy! Made using a kichen aid mixer-recipe on here) because I find it the easiest to work with and the easiest to make.

I don't have a big mat (just a small one) but I don't use it anyways. Make sure you have cornstarch on hand and this with prevent the fondant from sticking to everything. I bought an x-acto knife that I just use for my cakes and a pizza cutter. And even though I have a fondant smoother, I find smoothing it with my hands to be a lot easier.

I hope this helps!

nana2me Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 4:22pm
post #8 of 12

I hope this helps!

juliejoyce Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 4:24pm
post #9 of 12

Thanks!! I am going to get a silicone roller. You say you make your own fondant? Do you make marshmallow fondant? I want it to taste great, especially if I am going to decorate the cupcakes with it, do you think I'm better off making the fondant? I have a few weeks to experiment before my son's party, so if you have a recipe that you would like to share, I would appreciate it! Project for today though, head to Michael's and get a silicone roller and some fondant to at least practice with. Luckily it is not 1000 degrees today, so I won't mind having the oven on!

nana2me Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 4:28pm
post #10 of 12

Make some up now. I make it and freeze it for up to 2 weeks (usually it's gone before than because my kids like to just eat it) When you do freeze it, get it out the day before you need it and just leave it on the counter, by the next day it should be good to work with.

I use a recipe I found on this site because I like it the best. It's called MMF EASY PEASY! Made with a kitchaid mixer.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci_doodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci_doodle Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 6:02pm
post #12 of 12

You don't need to freeze fondant. As long as it's wrapped up really well and put in an airtight bag, it should last for weeks (months?). I just keep mine in my pantry. I haven't had the best luck with homemade fondant, but everyone else seems to do just fine. But I will say, if you're going to be rolling stuff out to cut shapes, etc, I have a clay/pasta roller that I LOVE!! You can buy it at a craft store in the clay section. It saves so much time!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%