Hurricane Irene's Coming During Cupcake Due Date

Business By KellyJo3 Updated 26 Aug 2011 , 6:51pm by costumeczar

KellyJo3 Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 2:50pm
post #1 of 7

So I did a stupid thing that I will never do again. I joined one of those dealy things like groupons, but it's a little different. Unfortunately, one of those customers wanted to pick up their order for a dozen cupcakes this Saturday and according to the weather reports, my family and I may have to get out of dodge during Hurricane Irene, which will be hitting us or around us on Saturday.

I tried writing her an email explaining to her that due to those circumstances, she would have to pick her cupcakes up earlier this week or after the storm. I have gotten no answer and her phone does not accept incoming calls for some reason.

So now I am wondering what I should do, as I am not 100% sure that the storm will be so bad, but I want to be prepared and I really don't want to worry about a pratcially free dozen cupcakes getting delivered rather than my family's safety.

I'm thinking I already know the answer-but I wanted to see if anyone else has been in a similar situation and how it panned out. I am hoping she'll be more than understanding, but some of the people I've had to deal with lately really surpirse me with their lack of compassion and understanding. TIA for any advice : )

6 replies
knlcox Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 3:07pm
post #2 of 7

I agree with you on the lack of compassion and understanding there! You already wrote the email. Is she in your area? Will she have to get out too? I would send her another email saying if she doesn't reply asap you'll not do the order at all assuming she doesn't want it for lack of a response. Your safety is more important than her order. If she still wants it she can tell you she does and agree to pick them up early.

KellyJo3 Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 4:00pm
post #3 of 7

whew!! She responded, thank god! Just one thing to check off my list of worry! Thanks for your repsonse knlcox! : )

buttercuppie Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 1:09pm
post #4 of 7

I'm in NYC and had someone just cancel a cake for's family so frankly...I'm fine with it...means a shorter day for me. I have one other cake that I'm trying to get in touch with the customer about. If they cancel I'm so tired I don't even care if the cake is baked and filled (no work done on it yet. I'm trying to hold off for her response for another 20 minutes. .I'll just give it to my landlord or church family...we'll see what happens.

To the OP and everyone else on the safe! icon_smile.gif

KellyJo3 Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 3:13pm
post #5 of 7

Thank you buttercuppie, same goes for you and all of the east coast! : )

ReneeFLL Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 4:01pm
post #6 of 7

Anyone having cake/cupcakes due when the storm is coming should be more concerned about your safty and preparedness. That should be the top priority. If customers are selfish and inconsiderate thats there problem.

This storm is a good reminder that even if you never expect an "Act of God" problem, you should always address it in your contract.

I wish everyone to be safe and I kind of wish it would have hit here since we are more prepared for hurricanes (I think). Also, I don't think it would have been as strong. Don't know if your building codes are set for hurricanes. Again, best of luck to everyone.

costumeczar Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 6:51pm
post #7 of 7

I specifically wrote the word "hurricane" into my contract after Isabel came through here in 2003! My power was out for a week and I was on the phone arranging to go do my baking somewhere else when the lights came back on, so I lucked out then. I think that most people would be understanding since a lof of people would be in the same boat in a situation like that, but you want to cover yourself anyway.

Quote by @%username% on %date%