Cutting A Cake Is Messy!

Decorating By theCword Updated 24 Aug 2011 , 10:55am by Coral3

theCword Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 2:42pm
post #1 of 11

I made my first semi tiered cake (top tier was round) for a 1st b-day party this past weekend. I ended cutting the cake for them since my cousin (the mom) was busy. I didn't realize what a mess it was!

I remembered the wilton cutting guide and made a circle to start off. Oh and I took the top tier off as well. Was this correct? My husband insisted I cut it as it was with the "moon" still on top.

Just wondering what the easiest way is. Are there any tips? I have another 1st b-day tiered cake coming up in September and I'm sure I'll be cutting again or at least showing my sister how to do so.

10 replies
poohsmomma Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 3:32pm
post #2 of 11

Indydebi has a cake cutting guide that is way simpler than the round wilton way. Here's a link:

TexasSugar Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 3:36pm
post #3 of 11

Yep do it Debi's way. icon_smile.gif

ayerim979 Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 3:42pm
post #4 of 11

I ♥ Deby's method thats what I do and its easier to see the serving size as well.

Jess155 Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 4:32pm
post #5 of 11

Debi's method is the best!

theCword Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 4:53pm
post #6 of 11

well alrighty then!!
boo! it's blocked here at work. icon_mad.gif

TexasSugar Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 5:02pm
post #7 of 11

The basic idea of it, is that you cut a round cake just like you would a square. Cut your two inches in then cut that strip into one inch sections. icon_smile.gif

Lcubed82 Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 8:24pm
post #8 of 11

Cutting a cake IS messy! I think that is why many venues take them to the kitchen to cut for weddings, etc. I usually remove the top tier and set to still display. If all the tiers are the same flavor, just start at the top to serve (I also use Debi's method, and LOVE the cake comb.) Work your way down. Some people like to serve the bottom first, so any leftovers are more likely intact layers. I guess you would lift off the upper tiers as one, and set aside. If tiers are different flavors, you would need room to lay out the diffferent tiers. Try to have a pan handy to put your structure parts in as you go, and a cloth to wipe off your utensils all along.

Elcee Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 2:13am
post #9 of 11

A good, sharp knife makes a big difference too. If your knife is dull, you squash the cake before cutting it.

theCword Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 2:38am
post #10 of 11

oh my goodness! you should had seen the squishy mess I made making that damn circle (crooked too). Just cut like you do a sheet cake- genius! icon_biggrin.gif

Coral3 Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 10:55am
post #11 of 11

Try having a jug of boiling water next to you, dip the knife in that to heat it then dry with paper towel before cutting and repeat for each cut. That usually helps a lot. Failing that, try a different knife. And DON'T use the Wilton round cutting guide!!!'s the MOST ridiculous way to cut a cake I have EVER seen!

Quote by @%username% on %date%