How Do I Make A Purse Shaped Cake?

Decorating By hmoran75 Updated 29 Aug 2011 , 10:09am by Colliegirl

hmoran75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hmoran75 Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 2:22pm
post #1 of 9

Can anyone help me with making a purse shaped cake? What medium do I use? fondant, gum paste, or what? Thanks for any help.

8 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 2:42pm
post #2 of 9

I would definlety use fondant to cover the entire cake and them gumpaste for handles etc...It really is quite easy.

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 2:56pm
post #3 of 9

Lots on youtube

im8kc8ks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
im8kc8ks Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 3:15pm
post #4 of 9

U definitely cover with fondant. Other than that it is really hard to help u because u didn't say what shaped etc. There are plenty on youtube for a cute basic shape. You can also buy a video for making one from SugarEd. Sharon Zambito shows how to do one step by step...

hmoran75 Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 4:18pm
post #5 of 9

Thank you so much for the input. Do you have a really good fondant recipe? I have tried several but none are really great.

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 7:21am
post #6 of 9

If you want your purse cake to look realistic, use fondant... don't bother using buttercream on the outside, it will not look like a real purse and the finish would look very sloppy..

these purses I have made covered in fondant:

chocolatefudgecakefan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolatefudgecakefan Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 10:53am
post #7 of 9

This may help: http://www.lindyscakes.co.uk/Blog/2011/05/28/creating-handbags-made-from-cake/
We call them handbags over here in the UK.

hmoran75 Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 7:12pm
post #8 of 9

Those are great! Thanks so much.

Colliegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Colliegirl Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 10:09am
post #9 of 9

Folks I just wanted to ask a question. Love all the links for this subject. I have to make a purse for this weekend coming but it is one of those round shaped ones with the bottom cut. But I am a bit concerned about how the cake is going to stay upright when the base is smaller than the top. I would think that it would fall down because of gravity? Any ideas on how to make sure that the cake doesn't fall over? icon_confused.gif

Cheers

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%