Reproducing A Logo For Our Team

Decorating By rpaige Updated 1 Sep 2011 , 7:44pm by rpaige

rpaige Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 1:23pm
post #1 of 8

My son's football coach has asked me to make the cake for the banquet. My son has a t-shirt with the flowing "stallion" head/mane on the front. When you break the picture down, it appears that there is a basic gray background a bit larger than the blue, flowing mane of wild stallion head/mane on top of the gray. I have been unsuccessful in attaching a picture of the logo - sorry.

Based on my rough description, what would you professionals suggest for reproduction? Two layers of gray/blue fondant and use exacto knife? Tracing and filling with bc? Suggestions and examples are appreciated.

My son has bragged to everyone about my cakes and now I'm in a state of panic. I am not an artist!

7 replies
shellywadd Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 1:31pm
post #2 of 8

how about a edible print out of the logo ???

kakeladi Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 1:41pm
post #3 of 8

*IF* you don't care that the logo be edible you can print it out (even on edible paper but the ink would not be o.k.) then mount that on a fondant (or gp) plaque.

OR maybe colorflow the head onto fondant

shellywadd Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 1:50pm
post #4 of 8

if u know some one who has a edible printer the ink too will be ok to eat i have one and the inks are made from food colouring and quite safe

dchockeyguy Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 1:57pm
post #5 of 8

I realize not everyone has access to edible image printers. I'd suggest doing a frozen buttercream transfer. They are perfect for this kind of application!

HappyCake10609 Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 2:16pm
post #6 of 8

I made logos for the graduation cake I did recently... I printed a picture of the logo and then traced over the lines, so that there was a "ridge" on the back side of the paper, then just pressed the paper on different colors of rolled out fondant and cut out the lines with an exacto knife and layer them.

Here is the graduation cake I mentioned, so you can see what I was talking about!

For the top logo, I placed white pieces on the blue, and for the bottom I traced the outside in black and placed the different colors on that... It took a long time (the bottom one) but it was worth it because they were over the moon about how it turned out and couldn't get over the replication of the logos!

aprilismaius Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 4:18pm
post #7 of 8

I did a logo recently for our local hockey team using royal icing. I printed out the logo, put a piece of waxed paper down, and then traced the image using royal icing. It's not perfect, but the cake recipient was happy.

rpaige Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 7:44pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks for all of your suggestions and lovely pics. Sorry for the late response - for some reason I was not alerted to any responses & decided to check!

I think I am going to try a few of your suggestions well in advance and see how I do. I have also learned that my local grocery will do an edible image (not cheap) but will use as my back-up plan if I fail miserably!

Very nervous because there is a well-seasoned baker in the group and she is kind of a cake snob! More importantly - I don't want to embarass my son.

Wish me luck! Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%