Smash Cake?

Decorating By bibicake Updated 23 Aug 2011 , 6:19pm by bibicake

bibicake Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 1:17pm
post #1 of 5

I'm from Iceland where cake decorating is just starting and I am learning as I go about different stiles and everything.
The thing I have most wondered about is what is a smash cake?
I hope I don't come of as a total idiot.
Thanks so much

4 replies
kakeladi Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 1:34pm
post #2 of 5

There is a very true saying that there are NO DUMB ?s. If you don't know/understand something you will never learn what it is unless you askicon_smile.gif

At a 1st b'day party people would set the whole cake infront of baby and let them 'play' in it, then serve it to all at the party. Now instead of doing that we give them a smash cake. Much more sanitary icon_smile.gif
A smash cake is a very small cake made just for baby to dig into and smear all over himself icon_smile.gif
It can be a extra large cupcake - like a mini doll skirt OR a 4, 5, or 6" round single layer. It is usually decorated like the 'main' cake and included in the price of it.

matthewkyrankelly Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 1:49pm
post #3 of 5

It is really for the photo op. The parents want the cute picture of the baby all covered in frosting. But like kakeladi said no one else wants a slice of the cake a baby slobbered in.

lilmissbakesalot Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 1:54pm
post #4 of 5

I do a 3" round. One layer torted into 3 thin layers filled with whatever and iced and decorated to coordinate color-wise with the main cake. If they want it more elaborate... it's more $$.

I give the simple iced version as a freebie.. it takes seconds to ice and slap on a board and the parents love it.

bibicake Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 6:19pm
post #5 of 5

thank you so much icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%