Next Best Thing

Decorating By CalhounsCakery Updated 24 Aug 2011 , 1:27pm by CalhounsCakery

CalhounsCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CalhounsCakery Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 3:47am
post #1 of 8

So, I'm doing a wedding cake this weekend. It's a tall one. After doing much reading here, I'm reading a lot about this SPS system. THere is no way for me to get that in time. So what's the next best thing? I had planned on using dowels, and getting it to the hall in two sections, one three tier, and one double tier. Is there a better way to go? Any advice would be great.

Thanks

7 replies
CalhounsCakery Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 3:45pm
post #2 of 8

So does this mean that dowels are the next best thing?

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 4:12pm
post #3 of 8

Honestly, without sps, I'd transport it totally unstacked and assemble onsite with dowels. Sorry!

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 2:42am
post #4 of 8

I prefer the Wilton hollow plastic dowels to the wood type. I second the opinion of delivering completely unassembled!

labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 2:52am
post #5 of 8

I would use WILTON HIDDEN PILLARS ... simply frost your cakes and then place the 2nd from bottom on the base cake and "mark" where the plate aboves feet will be.. then cut your WILTON HIDDEN PILLARS to the height you need. When done place in cake where the feet were marked

Then when ready simply put the cake plate feet into those pillars.

They are very very strong and I have taken a 5 tier stacked over country roads and about an hour or or more away with no problems using this method. I like it better than the sps system because the wilton pillars are very wide and sturdy. no wobble like I had with the sps system. and the new wilton plates, they are very strong where the sps system is made to be disposable.

I purchased a pvc pipe cutter to cut the wilton hidden pillars. I would use those over dowels.

If you plan on decorating at the hall or venu make sure that they will acomadate you time. I have had halls that only give you half an hour to set up. And I hate it because there are sometimes people there decorating and will stop everything and stand there and watch you. like it isn't hard enough to set up without eyes on you. any questions please don't hesitate to email.or pm

good luck..

chocolatefudgecakefan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolatefudgecakefan Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 11:04am
post #6 of 8

Stack and secure with dowels and royal icing and then travel on a non slip mat. If too tall break into a three tier and a two tier and then put together at the other end.
Experience says that u will be stressed and interrupted when you are at the venue.

CalhounsCakery Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 1:26pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks everyone!

CalhounsCakery Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 1:27pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%