Swiss Or Italian Meringue Buttercream Questions. . .

Decorating By forheavenscake Updated 23 Aug 2011 , 5:14pm by coleslawcat

forheavenscake Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 1:33am
post #1 of 7

I am desperately wanting to try a meringue based buttercream. I have heard SO many good things about them. My main concern is heat.

I take my cupcakes to a Farmer's Market every Saturday in the FL heat. It's so humid and hot right now. My current buttercream holds up FANTASTIC!

Will the swiss meringue buttercream stand up in the heat? Or will all my cupcake swirls melt?

Also, when using this on a cake, does it survive in the outdoor heat if it's covered with fondant, or will it slide and cause fondant problems?

Please meringue buttercream experts. . .HELP! LOL

6 replies
shelbymama Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 1:48am
post #2 of 7

I have been wondering about this as well. I am in West Texas so I have extreme heat but not the humidity.

kmstreepey Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 2:08am
post #3 of 7

I use swiss meringue buttercream and, unfortunately, it does have a tendency to melt because of the high butter content. It is delicious though! You could try doing a few not for sale and test it in your area to see how well it holds up. I'm not sure I would trust it outdoors for a long period of time.

instant-gratificaketion Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 2:28am
post #4 of 7

I'm in Southeast Texas (just outside of Houston) and I have been using SMBC all summer on cakes and cupcakes. When it comes time for me to travel to work (my co-workers are my taste testers icon_biggrin.gif), I put my boxes on the floorboard in the front passenger area and turn my AC on cold and high and use the setting that blows the AC on the floorboard and in the car (I don't want to melt either!). I haven't had an issue with them in the car for about an hour, including a stop at a convenience store (turned car off) for about 10 minutes.

Oh, I also try to start my car about 3-5 min before I leave and have the floor vent going before putting the boxes in the car so they don't get blasted with that first minute or two of hot air.

It's been a BRUTAL summer but I haven't had a disaster yet (so far)!

scp1127 Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 3:47am
post #5 of 7

I took about 100 cupcakes to a family reunion, outside in the heat (coast of VA). I have coolers that I only use for my business. On the bottom, I put a layer of fake ice packets, topped them with a towel, and put in the bakery boxes. I put out a few at a time, but as the day wore on, I found that they were perfecy right from the cooler... a good eating consistency. They survived perfectly for about 8 hours.

I only use FBC/SMBC/IMBC/custard.

forheavenscake Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 4:42pm
post #6 of 7

Hmmm. . .well I can definitely use the cooler idea and just set out a few cupcakes at a time. I am outside for about 5 hours. . so as long as each "round" of cupcakes only sits out for an hour or two maybe they'll be fine. I just may give it a try!

coleslawcat Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 5:14pm
post #7 of 7

I live in AZ and frquently use SMBC, but it does melt easily. I wouldn't try it outside in the summer, I just can't envision it working. If I were you I'd wait to try it at the farmer's market until the temps cool off.

Quote by @%username% on %date%