Ideas On How To Decorate A Cake For This Celebration?

Decorating By Wildgirl Updated 23 Aug 2011 , 4:29pm by ChRiStY_71

Wildgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildgirl Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 9:32pm
post #1 of 15

My bil is adopting my sister's 2 teenagers - actually he raised them from little on up, but never adopted them until now - and he did now because my sister died over a year ago and he wanted to make sure he kept them. He also has one older son of his own, and they had one together as well.

So - what should I write on it?? I can't say anything like "one big happy family" because my sister is no longer there. I don't want to write the 2 kids names on it because that would leave out the other two. I thought about writing his last name and love -- "L.......... Love" since it's a great thing that he's doing, plus they will then have his name. But maybe that's not so good either. Maybe I shouldn't write anything? Congratulations doesn't seem right... Any ideas? I need help!

Also - I'm filling it with a cookies and cream, the rest will be chocolate. A stacked 9x13. Maybe 3 layers.... at least 2 anyway. How should I decorate the top? Something with oreos since they're a part of the filling? How else to make it stand out?

14 replies
Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 9:53pm
post #2 of 15

You might find something suitable on a quote site like this: http://www.quotegarden.com/family.html

A few of the shorter ones would be good on a cake, it's just a matter of finding one that seems appropriate for their particular situation.

A couple more pages:

http://thinkexist.com/quotations/family/

http://www.coolquotes.com/family.html

Try googling 'quotes about family love', you get a heap of pages.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 10:19pm
post #3 of 15

All of these are probably pretty lame and outdated, but it's all I could come up with. Is your BIL old enough to remember the TV show My Three Sons? If so, you could somehow play off of that with My Four Sons.

Or, there was a play in the 80's or 90's called Five Guys Named Mo. If these 2 boys are just now taking his last name, you could write Five Guys Named L____ (whatever that last name is).

Or, you could write something like "Always a family . . . now it's official."

Whatever you do, I'm sure it will mean a lot to him and the boys.

Wildgirl Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 3:48am
post #4 of 15

JGMB - I don't think those are lame at all, but one of them is a girl! lol! And Coral3 I could hug you - I never thought of looking for family quotes online! I quickly looked at those sites and I will definitely spend some time there - I'm sure something would work - that was a perfect idea.

Thanks so much!!!

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 3:54am
post #5 of 15

So sorry for your loss.

Wildgirl Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 4:00am
post #6 of 15

Thank you Unlimited. I appreciate that.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 12:32pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildgirl

JGMB - I don't think those are lame at all, but one of them is a girl! lol!

Oops! I don't know why I was under the impression that they were all boys. icon_redface.gif Sorry!

Wildgirl Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 2:50pm
post #8 of 15

I wasn't clear - no problem. I still appreciate your taking the time to help!!!

theCword Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theCword Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 2:58pm
post #9 of 15

I have no clue but wanted to say I'm sorry for the loss of your sister. I have 2 and can't imagine my life without them. ((Hugs))

Bluebelles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluebelles Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 3:13pm
post #10 of 15

Not sure where this saying came from: "The adoption was hard - the LOVE is easy"

Wildgirl Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 3:48pm
post #11 of 15

Thanks for your kind comments - these last two years have been extremely difficult for the whole family. I love all the quotes too! Such a good idea - so glad I came here to ask!!

SarahBeth3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahBeth3 Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 4:02pm
post #12 of 15

I'm sure you will find the perfect thing and your sister would have been so proud of whatever you come up with. She would probably be touched that you are making such a special cake for such a monumental moment in your family's lives. It will be perfect. Hang in there, girl!

SarahBeth3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahBeth3 Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 4:04pm
post #13 of 15

What about "6 souls, 1 heart" or something along those lines.

Wildgirl Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 4:12pm
post #14 of 15

I'm making notes and collecting sayings to decide from - thanks!!

Any ideas on the actual decorating? Should I use oreos on the top? (stacked 9x13) Flowers don't seem appropriate since there's only one girl w/4 guys now. Maybe chocolate curls around the outer edge.... I'd be afraid they wouldn't make it there though. Maybe chocolate sprinkles smooshed on the sides and just a chocolate piped border w/hershey kisses? Maybe a white buttercream border on top of the chocolate icing w/the kisses? I'm so glad I have a couple of weeks yet to figure this out... usually I wait until the last minute! icon_surprised.gif

ChRiStY_71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChRiStY_71 Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 4:29pm
post #15 of 15

I am so sorry for your loss. (((Hugs!))
I like "Families are Forever". As for decorating, do they all share a common hobby or have a favorite family activity that you could incorporate into the design of the cake? If not, you could do something like a picket fence with a heart on the gate...not too girly, but would resemble home and family.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%