I Need Help Figuring Out A Less Sweet Filling/frosting Combo

Decorating By zinger60 Updated 22 Aug 2011 , 8:01pm by artscallion

zinger60 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zinger60 Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 7:43pm
post #1 of 3

I have a cake to make for a birthday party. The parents want the cake to be VERY less sweet. They have ruled out american buttercream completely, even though I thought mine was alot less sweet than most but they tried it and thought it was too sweet. They want white cake with bavarian cream as a filling and whipped cream frosting with fondant over it. I thought Rich's Bettercream would be good as the frosting but was told it will melt the fondant so I figure that whipped cream would do the same because of the water content in it. I think it would also be too smooshy underneath the fondant anyway. Any suggestions? What about SMBC underneath fondant? I know it melts easily so I am concerned again about it ruining the fondant.
I am so concerned about getting this cake right. There will be 120 people at the party and they are all Middle Eastern culture. The customer said if everyone likes the cake, I will get the business of the whole Middle Eastern community so this is a huge thing. Can anyone help?

2 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 7:48pm
post #2 of 3

I would either use a meringue based buttercream or your regular recipe and simply crumbcoat the cake then apply the fondant. Most middle eastern desserts I have seen do not have fluffy frosting so as long as your cake is good and moist it should be fine with the filling.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 8:01pm
post #3 of 3

I just tried this recipe from a contestant on The Next Food Network Star. It's a mixture of balsamic vinegar and red wine boiled down to a syrup, then mixed with pureed roasted strawberries (you could probably omit the roasting part) mixed in with the usual butter and powdered sugar. The vinegar gives it a kind of sweet and sour balance. It's not on the sweet side at all. But is out of this world delicious.

http://tinyurl.com/3f7xdj4

The buttermilk cupcake she uses it on is a knockout as well...the secret? she uses full fat buttermilk, not the low fat that most stores carry. I couldn't find it, so I used light cream with 1 Tbsp lemon juice per cup.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%