Hourly Rate?

Decorating By LenaMay Updated 22 Aug 2011 , 11:43pm by LenaMay

LenaMay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LenaMay Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 7:23pm
post #1 of 5

So I'm fairly new at getting my business up and running and I'm having a tad bit of trouble getting my prices set in stone.

I know I need to take into consideration the prices of the ingredients and what not. But what do you add on for your hourly rate. If it takes you 3 hours to do a cake, do you add $8.00 an hour? More? Less? And is it higher than your local minimum wage or less?

TIA

4 replies
cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 8:59pm
post #2 of 5

Cakes are a side business for me. I keep my hourly rate around $22-25/hour. It doesn't make sense for me to use my time and make less than I would working at my regular job.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 9:12pm
post #3 of 5

The going rate for cake decorators tends to be in the $10-15 range, depending on skill and the area.

Not sure why you would want to price your labor at less than minimum wage? Decorating a cake takes significantly more skill than flipping burgers or mopping a floor.

madcobbler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madcobbler Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 10:17pm
post #4 of 5

Check in the help wanted ads to see what the going hourly rate for bakers is in your area. I definitely would make your hourly rate higher than minimum wage.

LenaMay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LenaMay Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 11:43pm
post #5 of 5

It makes sense to me to be higher than minimum wage, but was an honest question. I didn't want to start my prices so high that I scare away potential customers

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%