Curdling Smbc

Baking By Dizzymaiden Updated 23 Aug 2011 , 9:05pm by SweetSuzieQ

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 7:22pm
post #1 of 8

I used the food processor to mix fresh strawberries with strawberry jam to mix into SMBC. I was told to add at the end.

YUCKO - it looked like curdled milk and jello. I tried to mix and mix with blender to see if I could get it smooth but no luck.

How the heck do you get that wonderful smooth yummy fruit flavor in SMBC?

I used it in my cake as a filling (it tasted good) but was not happy with the overall look and texture.

7 replies
SweetSuzieQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSuzieQ Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 11:34pm
post #2 of 8

I usually only make IMBC because I find it easier but, I find with it, if I add the flavorings too early, it doesn't come out the same consistancy. I don't even add extract till I have it at a good consistancy first.

Also, with seeded fruit, I always strain it to get out the seeds cuz I don't like the look of it with the seeds in.

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 12:22am
post #3 of 8

Fresh cut strawberries seep out a lot of liquid which is what caused your SMBC to look like that.

If you want to use fresh berries try freezing them first, than thaw, strain any liquid and add the berries to the finished SMBC a little at a time.

Same with the preserves, add a little at a time..too much will break down your SMBC, but if you whip it again it may come back together.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 12:32am
post #4 of 8

I say the jam is the problem. I add a boatload of fresh puree to my SMBC and it always comes together no problem (like a c. puree to 4 cups SMBC), but I tried adding jam and the texture got really weird. Then I tried natural preserves and it was fine. I think the added sugar and geletan in jam has mucks with, natural preserves don't. Anyway, try a no sugar added natural preserve and it'll work.

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 12:20pm
post #5 of 8

Could be the jam too. I add preserves regularly to my SMBC without issue, but I don't use store bought, I make my own so I control what it's made with.

OP I would try again, but make sure your SMBC is completely together before you add anything.

Good luck!

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 12:37pm
post #6 of 8

You could try warming it up a little too...

I've added mashed fresh berries to SMBC with no real issue. The do seep a bit, but that usually happens later. If the berries are cold they will cause the fat to clump together and it looks off. Also... why the food processor? I just use my kitchen aid with the paddle or whisk (depending on my mood and if I want to clean more things... LOL).

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 8:58pm
post #7 of 8

i think that you have some good input here, and i have to add that i wouldn't think that a food processor or a blender would provide the same quality of beating that the stand mixer with a paddle or whisk would. That stuff needs to move around the bowl to emulsify. Maybe there is a recipe out there for blender SMBC, but i haven't tried it.

SweetSuzieQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSuzieQ Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 9:05pm
post #8 of 8

I don't think the OP used a food processor to make SMBC, just for the strawberries and jam?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%