In Over My Head??

Decorating By Kikleberry Updated 23 Aug 2011 , 11:38pm by LenaMay

Kikleberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kikleberry Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 6:44pm
post #1 of 8

Hi there. Love the site, but a first time poster.

I am relatively new to cake decorating, but I have a wedding cake coming up in September that I thought would be "easy enough" to decorate, but the closer the date comes, the more uncertain I become.

It's a "jewel" on a taller shaped cake, and I actually am not sure how to do the jewel at all icon_cry.gif

I'm going to try to attach a picture it, and maybe there can be some suggetions to help me?? I don't have a better quality photo though, as this was the only one that was supplied to me!

Thanks so much!

7 replies
LenaMay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LenaMay Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 7:05pm
post #2 of 8

Not sure how comfortable you are working with royal icing. But could you pipe out the jewel (using a template or pattern) and ahere it to the cake?

knlcox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knlcox Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 7:23pm
post #3 of 8

I know there are molds out there that could do that. Maybe you could look into purchasing a jewel mold and then painting the mold black and silver.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 7:30pm
post #4 of 8

If you don't want to invest in molds (or don't have the time) then I agree w/making them from royal - by piping dots of icing on a flat base, and painting it w/matalic silver dust mixed w/vodka (or similar moisture).
Another option would be to make up many, many little balls of fondant and put them together on a flat circle 'base' and pain that.

live2create Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
live2create Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 7:50pm
post #5 of 8

In looking at it are you sure its not broaches put together to make this effect. if so I know alot of brides are using cake jewlery their cakes Im thinking is is a cluster of rhinestone broches placed on the cake.
Best of luck its beautiful

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 11:16pm
post #6 of 8

That is actual cake jewlery. If that is what the bride wants, I suggest you have her provide it. You can make isomalt molds of broches and paint them silver if you want all edible. You'll have to discuss with the bride what is the exact look you want simliar, yet edible or exact jewlery.

Kikleberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kikleberry Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 6:21am
post #7 of 8

Thanks for all the help.
I believe when I had the consultation, I mentioned that the bride could bring in some jewelry that would shadow her own that she has at the wedding, and I could just put that on the cake, for a better tie in to the wedding, but I believe she wanted something edible.
I may try some royal icing with edible gems, or a fondant piece with the gems, and paint that with the luster dust (I think she mentioned copper) and do a few pieces to not only practice with, but maybe to show the bride and see if she's happy with the turnout.

I thought maybe I had a few general ideas of what to do, but everyone's help here shows me I'm on the general right track!

I hope it works out! Thanks again icon_biggrin.gif

LenaMay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LenaMay Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 11:38pm
post #8 of 8

Best of luck to you, sounds like you have a few things to try. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%