Criss-Cross Satin Ribbon

Decorating By dchinda Updated 22 Aug 2011 , 6:16pm by dchinda

dchinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchinda Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 5:06pm
post #1 of 5

Can anyone please help me with attaching a criss-cross satin ribbon to a cake? I usually use double sided tape to attach my satin ribbon when they go just around the bottom of the cake. I have attached a link to a pic of what I am trying to do. TIA!

http://www.celebrationweddings.com/photoalbum/thumbnail/thumb_004.JPG

4 replies
Tea42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tea42 Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 5:23pm
post #2 of 5

I will soon be doing something semiliar to this. Have a test cake in the oven now. I have read that rubbing crisco on the back of the ribbon works but I'm thinking it might change the color of some ribbons.

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 5:34pm
post #3 of 5

Just did one! Rub ribbons with Crisco and wipe off excess so grease from icing doesn't make it splotchy. The Crisco will help it stick and I also used a few tiny dots of royal icing.

bakingkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingkat Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 5:37pm
post #4 of 5

You want to grease your ribbon first so that you don't get any grease stains from your frosting. As for getting the ribbon to stick to the cake, I haven't had a problem with it just sticking to the frosting. If you're doing fondant I would maybe put some piping gel on the ribbon to help it stick.

dchinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchinda Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 6:16pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakingkat

You want to grease your ribbon first so that you don't get any grease stains from your frosting. As for getting the ribbon to stick to the cake, I haven't had a problem with it just sticking to the frosting. If you're doing fondant I would maybe put some piping gel on the ribbon to help it stick.

Yes, I am using fondant. I apologize I didn't mention this in my first post. Thank you, I will try using piping gel.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%