Gumpaste/fondant Figures

Decorating By SpoiledSweet Updated 23 Aug 2011 , 4:08pm by Jennewill

SpoiledSweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpoiledSweet Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 4:08am
post #1 of 7

I am making my first gumpaste or fondant figure for a cake in a couple weeks. I have to make a Dora the Explorer. Does anyone have any tips to make it go smoothly?? I really don't know what I'm doing icon_smile.gif

6 replies
Tails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tails Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 9:59am
post #2 of 7

Search YouTube for tutorial videos, as there are so many, and its great cos you can actually see what they're doing, rather than reading it in text.

Afaik, you need your fondant, an edible glue (or just water) and some tylose powder (so it hardens properly) and off you go. Maybe get a book on modelling clay techniques, as its the same priciple icon_smile.gif

Good luck!

usmdesigner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
usmdesigner Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 2:56pm
post #3 of 7

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-672099.html

This is on the "How Do I" Forums.

Lots of information in here. Maybe not specifically on Dora, but a good read!

theCword Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theCword Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 3:01pm
post #4 of 7

I just made my first figurine (alien) last week. I used homemade mmf and tylose powder. Easy peasy. I was very happy with how it came out.

SpoiledSweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpoiledSweet Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 11:20pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCword

I just made my first figurine (alien) last week. I used homemade mmf and tylose powder. Easy peasy. I was very happy with how it came out.

Oh I'm glad to hear that because I always use MMF! I was wondering if it would work for that icon_smile.gif

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 11:39pm
post #6 of 7

I have used MMF for modeling in the past. I know it works and alot of people use it, but in my opinion it's a little soft to work with. I like using Satin Ice with a little Tylose powder kneaded in. I agree the polymer clay books are a good source of information for someone starting out. Good tools to have are a veining tool, ball tool, pin tool, small rolling pin, exacto knife, small paint brushes. Have fun with it!

Jennewill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennewill Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 4:08pm
post #7 of 7

This is a great post. I was about to ask a similar question. I'm in the same situation. I have to make a model of my daughter's favorite stuffed dog for her birthday cake next Tuesday. I had thought of using modeling chocolate, and bought some, but found it to be a bit hard, and crumbly. Is that normal, or did I end up with an inferior quality? I'm not as concerned with the process of sculpting it since my husband is an artist and will do that part. I just need to get him good material to work with. So it sounds like maybe I should switch to using fondant instead.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%