How To Get This Sparkle Sugar Effect?

Decorating By Lindsram Updated 23 Aug 2011 , 1:06pm by wafawafa

Lindsram Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 5:58pm
post #1 of 10

I've seen thus around lately and I'm really want to try it. But I'm not exactly sure how to get this effect. I'm assuming you use rock candy (sugar) and piping gel to get it to stick. I would like to use a different color and not sure if piping gel is strong enough. Thanks for any input. Here's a pic for reference.

9 replies
KSMill Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 6:05pm
post #2 of 10

It looks like sugar crystals to me.

audrey0522 Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 6:28pm
post #3 of 10

I have never used it but I think it is called sanding sugar. It comes in colors also. I believe it has larger crystals then regular sugar.

leah_s Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 6:46pm
post #4 of 10

Do not use sanding sugar. Use Sparkling Sugar or Sugar Crystals. Different brands use different names. And put the sugar on a bc iced cake - don't use fondant.

FromScratchSF Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 7:01pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Do not use sanding sugar. Use Sparkling Sugar or Sugar Crystals. Different brands use different names. And put the sugar on a bc iced cake - don't use fondant.

I just used sanding sugar for the 1st time... why do you say not to use it? Curious.

Thanks!

paula0712 Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 7:04pm
post #6 of 10

I've had great success using sparkling sugar on fondant cakes. I generously coat with piping gel using a pastry brush, then press handfuls of sugar to the cake (it does get messy). You don't have to press very hard though just enough to make the sugar "catch" in the piping gel. The 2 tier anniversary cake with the burgundy flowers in my pics was done this way. It's really not hard to do - it just gets messy. If you place your cake on a plastic bag you can alleviate a bit of the mess though.

FromScratchSF Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 7:24pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsram

I've seen thus around lately and I'm really want to try it. But I'm not exactly sure how to get this effect. I'm assuming you use rock candy (sugar) and piping gel to get it to stick. I would like to use a different color and not sure if piping gel is strong enough. Thanks for any input. Here's a pic for reference.

I just did piping gel and sanding sugar (pics in gallery) because I wanted a defined scroll, but you can also do it by spraying it with water thru an airbrush and sticking the sugar to that.

Lindsram Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 9:03pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks for all the great advice. I have another question. Can you airbrush sanding sugar or sugar crystals? Haven't played too much with an airbrush. It's next on my What I Want cake list.

Lj1234 Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 1:31am
post #9 of 10

Does anyone know what is in between the three tier cake? Is it styrofoam?

wafawafa Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 1:06pm
post #10 of 10

What's the difference between sanding sugar and crystal or sparkling sugar , can we make them at home ?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%