I Wanna Be Pretty Too!!

Lounge By bakerliz Updated 24 Aug 2011 , 12:08pm by Jennifer353

bakerliz Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 2:49pm
post #1 of 9

On Friday, I took my son to meet his kindergarten teacher for the first time. I was looking forward to meeting a sweet older woman in orthopedic shoes with a jolly disposition who my son would start to see as a grandmother figure. Instead...I got Jenny!

Jenny is everything her name sounds like. She's young, she's pretty, she has great clothes, and she looks like she's never had to clean up something gross that a toddler left behind!

If you come over to my house on any given Thursday, you're likely to find me in pajama pants with no makeup and my hair pulled up into a ponytail with powdered sugar on my hands and frosting somewhere on my clothes that I didn't even know was there...GROSS!

So this goes out to all the home bakers out there...how do you do it?!?! What are your tricks for keeping yourself together and getting your cakes done? Help me be as pretty as Jenny!!! icon_biggrin.gif

8 replies
AnnieCahill Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 8:10pm
post #2 of 9

I don't really care too much about what I look like when I'm caking. I have run out of supplies mid-decorating and run out to the grocery store with my hair a mess and covered in powdered sugar. People look at me like I just rolled out of a dumpster but oh well. That's just how I roll when I'm in the thick of it. If they only knew that I just spent the last three hours wrestling with buttercream and humidity.

To keep up, I just do everything as far in advance as I possibly can. I bake and freeze, do buttercream and fondant decorations ahead of time, etc.

cakemama22 Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 8:43pm
post #3 of 9

I couldn't care less what I look like while I'm making a cake. I'm happy while I'm caking. I've already managed to get me a man icon_wink.gif so I don't feel like I have to look good for anyone else. I'll put some effort in on days I'm not baking. lol.

bakerliz Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 2:23am
post #4 of 9

So I guess that's it! I'll just sleep a little better tonight believing that Jenny may have it together, but she can't bake a cake like I can icon_wink.gif

FiveAlarmBakery Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 2:46am
post #5 of 9

Bakerliz, just remember that looks are always decieving. Jenny may be a complete mess at home, but she's just got it together at school because she has to be professional for her work life.

The only time I put on makeup is to go to my day job, but that's because I'm a makeup artist. lol. Otherwise, I agree with the others, I leave mid cake, covered in powdered sugar, wearing things I normally would not wear in public (i.e. mismatched shorts and a tank top with holes in it, my glasses on and hair up) and not a stitch of makeup on.

You've got a wonderful thing going, and you're right, she most likely can not and will never be able to bake a cake like you can!! icon_smile.gif Keep your chin up.... cause Miss Jenny is just as human as the rest of us!

Texas_Rose Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 3:40am
post #6 of 9

I change clothes when I'm going out of the house.

It takes me about five minutes to change clothes, run a brush through my hair, put on a pair of earrings and some lip gloss, and go.

I don't wear nail polish. Ever. I do keep my toenails painted, but I'm not making cakes with them icon_biggrin.gif

Anyhow, as long as you look reasonably put together when you're out of the house, nobody has to know how messy you look while you're baking. If you're going to have a customer see you, it might be better to wear an apron while you bake...a messy apron looks like a busy baker, but dirty clothes make people think of health hazards.

JamAndButtercream Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 9:15pm
post #7 of 9

You are only seeing "Jenny" in work hours, I imagine she looks like the rest of us at 7:00am! icon_biggrin.gif And Jenny is a teacher not a baker, what do you think she would look like if you gave her flour, icing sugar and a big bowl of frosting to mix! icon_lol.gif
Its just a difference of professions, if you came to my house just after I'd made a cake you would be likely to find me in the living room with my face covered in cake mixture! (I'm 22 and I still haven't grown out of licking the bowl clean! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif )

LenaMay Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 12:15am
post #8 of 9

I'm a single mom of a 3 year old lil girl. I work full time as a pastry chef and I'm starting my own buisness as a cake decorator. I'm very self concious and one of "those girls" who very much cares about what I look like. Always wearing make up, my hair done, clothes nice. But recently I've been hitting the snooze button and sleeping an extra fifteen mintues and for going the make up ritual. Getting a lil extra sleep might do more wonders for my face and body than the make up in my bathroom

Jennifer353 Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 12:08pm
post #9 of 9

I was in a discussion recently and the other person said "either you or the house can look perfect", ie put in the time and energy to get one thing looking perfect (in your case the cakes!) and the other thing suffers so churn out great cakes or put the time into you looking perfect! Personally I generally go for the sleep option and my house is reasonable and I am presentable enough for the ocassionicon_wink.gif foregoing some sleep if I need to be looking really smart early in the day!

Quote by @%username% on %date%