Cracking Buttercream

Decorating By kharvey Updated 21 Aug 2011 , 4:34pm by Tails

kharvey Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 11:25am
post #1 of 9

I have always used the Wilton recipe for buttercream icing because I've never been brave enough to try anything different. I've never had any complaints with it from clients so I found no reason to change. However, it cracks horribly when it dries and I'm tired of it!! How can I keep this from happening? Any suggestions?

8 replies
CarolWI Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 11:57am
post #2 of 9

How thick of a cake board do you have the cake on? If you're board isn't thick enough to handle the weight, it can give and cause cracking when you move it. If that's not the problem, then maybe use less powdered sugar; for less stiff icing.

leah_s Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 12:09pm
post #3 of 9

Cracking bc is nearly *always* the result of not enough support on the bottom of the cake. Double (or triple) your boards, or use a cake drum.

cowie Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 12:32pm
post #4 of 9

I hope you don't mind me jumping in to ask this but.. how do you attach or wrap your cake boards when you double/triple them so they don't look silly?

CarolWI Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 12:41pm
post #5 of 9

Once you fasten them together, wrap with Fanci-Foil or other paper of choice.

kharvey Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 3:04pm
post #7 of 9

Support may be causing my problem. I will try using more/different boards and see if that helps. Thanks for the advice.

wafawafa Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 4:18pm
post #8 of 9

whats the difference between cake drum and cakeboard ?

Tails Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 4:34pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by wafawafa

whats the difference between cake drum and cakeboard ?

Im a newbie to baking, but I *think* a cake board is cardboard and a cake drum is wooden. I could be wrong though.

I cut two circles from cardboard (the kind with a corregated parts inside), taped them together with dbl sided tape and covered with heavy duty foil (we dont have fancifoil here afaik).

I will try find the youtube vid that helped me with covering my board and paste it here.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%