Really Smooth Buttercream?

Decorating By grammaof3 Updated 23 Aug 2011 , 5:16pm by Jennewill

grammaof3 Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 2:38am
post #1 of 11

What is the best way to get a really smooth buttercream and really sharp edges? I've used the viva and the sponge roller.. Would love to know what others are doing. icon_biggrin.gif
Thanks so much
Tommie

10 replies
Darstus Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 2:57am
post #2 of 11

I also use Viva and many think my cakes are fondant covered. One thing I have found that helps me is using a fondant smoother. I will smooth first with Viva and my hand then go over it with the Viva and fondant smoother. It really helps on corners and edges of square cakes.

tiggy2 Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 2:57am
post #3 of 11

Get sugarshacks buttercream DVD www.sugaredproductions.com

caymancake Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 3:32am
post #4 of 11

I use viva and sponge roller - but I won sugarshack's bc video - so I'm looking forward to checking it out!

DoniB Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 3:37am
post #5 of 11

I tried the upside-down icing technique, and it works very nicely. Nice, sharp edges and a perfectly smooth top. Give it a shot sometime! icon_smile.gif

Creativebakes Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 3:56am
post #6 of 11

@donib, Does the upside down method work on larger cakes likes 14 or 16 inches?

Baker_Rose Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 12:11pm
post #7 of 11

I have always just used a spatula, a straight one for the sides, and an angled one for the top. If I have a spot that isn't co-operating I run the spatula under hot-hot water, wipe dry with a paper towel and then lightly smooth the spot. I have sharp edges or rolled edges that look like fondant when it's done depending on the look I'm going for.

It takes practice, but it can be done.

Tami icon_smile.gif

Jeff_Arnett Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 2:11am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creativebakes

@donib, Does the upside down method work on larger cakes likes 14 or 16 inches?

Sure does....it's really good for those large tiers that are so hard to smooth toward the center!

cakelady2266 Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 2:18am
post #9 of 11

I use a 6 inch stainless steel putty knife and a foam paint roller. I roll the top edge over to give it that fondant look.

NeeNee1979 Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 1:49pm
post #10 of 11

Okay, I'm going to show my ignorance here, but can someone explain using viva and the sponge roller? And the 'upside down method'? (Or direct me to forum questions/replies) I've been experimenting with different buttercreams trying to get on that will look smooth like fondant and I'm coming up dry. Literally. icon_smile.gif My cakes just look rough - NOT the look I'm going for. Thank you in advance!!

Jennewill Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 5:16pm
post #11 of 11

MeeNee1979, I was with you. Never heard of this. So I did a search and found this.

http://cakecentral.com/articles/71/how-to-create-faux-fondant-the-paper-smoothing-towel-method-viva

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%