How Do You Make See Through Icing For Water Effect????

Baking By sarahhigh Updated 22 Aug 2011 , 10:07am by Shan1781

sarahhigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahhigh Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 2:14am
post #1 of 9

Please could anyone tell me how to make see through icing to make the water effect. I have seen some on the internet but they all ask for corn syrup/starch, as l am front england this is not available. So was wondering if anyone has an alternate recipe. Please help. xxxx

8 replies
cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 2:25am
post #2 of 9

Do you have piping gel where you live? It comes in blue and other colors as well.

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 2:27am
post #3 of 9

Here's a link to clear piping gel, but you can color it to look like water. Hope that helps.

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?sku=704-105

pusskin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pusskin Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 6:52am
post #4 of 9

For most recipes which call for corn syrup you can substitute liquid glucose or golden syrup, it's a bit trial and error to see which will be better in a particular recipe.

I'd try subbing liquid glucose if you have any.

Yours aye
Puss

jillyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillyscakes Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 7:10am
post #5 of 9

Its piping gel you need its only clear over here but you can colour it blue with paste colours to get water effect for blue water most online suppliers sell it like almond art or design a cake.

sarahhigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahhigh Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 11:29am
post #6 of 9

thanks for the advice l will have a go at making it myself. Will get back to you on how it goes. xxx

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 12:59pm
post #7 of 9

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6998/piping-gel-that-works

That recipe is great. (I reduce the lemon juice a bit.) However, you said you cannot get cornstarch. I googled "substitute for cornstarch" and found that you could use flour, potato starch, rice starch, arrowroot or tapioca:

http://www.joyofbaking.com/IngredientSubstitution.html

I don't know how well those things would work in the recipe, but the ingredients are not that expensive, so maybe you could experiment.
Good luck.

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 1:59pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahhigh

Please could anyone tell me how to make see through icing to make the water effect. I have seen some on the internet but they all ask for corn syrup/starch, as l am front england this is not available. So was wondering if anyone has an alternate recipe. Please help. xxxx

You can use liquid glucose in place of corn syrup. You can buy small jars of it (Dr Oetker brand) in supermarkets.

Corn starch is corn flour.

HTH

Suzanne x

Shan1781 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shan1781 Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 10:07am
post #9 of 9

I made the piping gel from this site, I used the liquid glucose and had no problems at all... it turned out great... I added a little blue colouring to it while it was cooling and it looks great... very easy and very cheap to make icon_smile.gif

Shan...xxx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%