White Chocolate Or Milk Chocolate??

Decorating By Sugarcupcake Updated 21 Aug 2011 , 10:20pm by Sugarcupcake

Sugarcupcake Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 10:35pm
post #1 of 5

My friend wants me to cover a chocolate cake with fondant icing the icing is ivory in colour. She also wants some kind of butter icing or chocolate covering under the fondant. Can anyone advise which would be best white chocolate butter icing or white chocolate meleted over the cake. Or would milk chocolate be better? Also if I cover the cake with chocolate and not butter icing and its dry what do I use to make the fondant stick to it.

Sorry for all the questions but I really do need to know what's best to do.

Thanks
Mary icon_smile.gif

4 replies
Mexx Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 10:43pm
post #2 of 5

I think she's talking about chocolate ganache. There have been some threads on this site recently about the benefits of using chocolate ganache under fondant. I personally think that the milk chocolate ganache would be great on your chocolate cake. You can also use the ganache as your filling between the layers. HTH.

Sugarcupcake Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 8:01am
post #3 of 5

Thank you so much for you help. icon_smile.gif

LisaPeps Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 10:34am
post #4 of 5

Yes ganache would be a good option. As you are in the UK I thought I'd point you in the right direction icon_smile.gif Use the green tub - whipping cream. For milk and dark chocolate ganache use a ratio of 2 (chocolate) : 1 (cream). You need to do this ratio by weight not volume. So for example use 400g chocolate and 200ml cream. For white chocolate ganache the ratio is 3:1. Click on this link http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28726919/Ganache%20calculator.xlsx and it will automatically try to download an excel file. Open it up and save it to your desktop (or other area of your comp). It is a fantastic tool which tells you how much ganache you will need to make.
The only issue with using milk chocolate ganache is that you might see it through your fondant. It depends on how thin you roll your fondant. If you roll it thin I would either do a layer of milk chocolate ganache and then finish it with white chocolate or do it all in white chocolate.

HTH

Sugarcupcake Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 10:20pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you very much the information you gave me is really helpful. I had thought about the milk chocolate showing through the fondant and knowing my luck that is exactly what would happen. I am not a professional just self taught I bake for family and friends. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%