Imbc... Can't Shake That Butter Taste....

Baking By therese379 Updated 22 Aug 2011 , 3:32pm by AnnieCahill

therese379 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
therese379 Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 8:01pm
post #1 of 10

I have made IMBC twice now.. I love the smoothness of the icing but not the taste... I have noticed icing on plates... NOT what I want to see. How do I improve the taste when customers want plain icing ??? Any suggestions please

9 replies
3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 8:18pm
post #2 of 10

use UNsalted butter, and add white chocolate.

therese379 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
therese379 Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 8:23pm
post #3 of 10

thanks.. never thought of white chocolate icon_wink.gif

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 2:05am
post #4 of 10

Using very high quality pure vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste is essential in my opinion.

Don't be afraid to use a lot of flavoring, I use about 2 to 3 Tablespoons of pure vanilla and about 1 to 2 teaspoons of vanilla bean paste in my SMBC (which is pretty much the same type of butter cream just different method)

Also as the above poster mentioned using unsalted butter is important too.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 4:49am
post #5 of 10

Never seen it left on a plate. You may need a new recipe or you are not adding enough flavoring. I must have a hundred different flavors between SMBC/IMBC/FBC/custard base, and the only one that is really rich is vanilla FBC.

Baker_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baker_Rose Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 1:11pm
post #6 of 10

It really depends on what icing your customers like. My mother would scrape it off and leave it on the plate. She HATES any of the meringue based icings and commercial whipped creams.

If people like the classic butter/shortening/powdered sugar icing that they know, the other may taste "weird". I have many people who have said it tastes "like a stick of butter" on a cake. I personally offer different buttercreams to people so they get the one they like.

It's all a matter of personal taste.

Tami icon_smile.gif

kathyw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathyw Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 1:43pm
post #7 of 10

Try using less butter. That's what I do.

infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 2:08pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakestyles

Using very high quality pure vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste is essential in my opinion.

Don't be afraid to use a lot of flavoring, I use about 2 to 3 Tablespoons of pure vanilla and about 1 to 2 teaspoons of vanilla bean paste in my SMBC (which is pretty much the same type of butter cream just different method)

Also as the above poster mentioned using unsalted butter is important too.

Ditto! thumbs_up.gif

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 2:30pm
post #9 of 10

Using less butter can throw the balance and effect the consistency. OP can you post your recipe? You have to use a lot of flavouring as PPs said. I use 2 tbsps of homemade vanilla in my IMBC.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 3:32pm
post #10 of 10

Like others I make sure I use unsalted butter. I also add A LOT of vanilla extract. Sometimes I will add three tablespoons of NM vanilla. I use Warren Brown's recipe but I add a little bit more sugar after I did a taste test and everyone said they liked it sweeter. I have heard that white chocolate gives it a nice flavor but I have never tried that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%