Air Bubbles In Frosting?

Decorating By montanakate Updated 3 Mar 2005 , 2:17am by awela

montanakate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
montanakate Posted 26 Feb 2005 , 2:45pm
post #1 of 9

I think this question has been on before, so I apologize for asking it again - How do you get really smooth frosting? Just when I think I have mine really smooth I start frosting the cake and here are all the bubbles icon_mad.gif . Please tell there is a way to fix this. I'd appreciate any tips. Thanks

8 replies
GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 26 Feb 2005 , 7:29pm
post #2 of 9

Mixing incorporates air. Are you mixing too long?

Is your powdered sugar sifted enough (I sift many many many times)?

Did you mix your shortening, butter and flavoring together really well before adding your sugar?

montanakate Posted 26 Feb 2005 , 9:25pm
post #3 of 9

how long would you say that you mix? I didn't think that it was too long, it looked smooth. And how many times do you sift you sugar, I though just once was enough icon_eek.gif .

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 26 Feb 2005 , 10:35pm
post #4 of 9

Hey montanakate..here is my two cents on air bubbles:

Except for the powdered sugar, I put everything else in my mixer on low/medium speed, anywhere from 5 -10 minutes until well combined. Then add the powdered sugar and mix on medium speed for about 5-7 minutes, then turn it down to the lowest speed for a few minutes. Just before I use the icing, I take a rubber spatula and press into the icing making figure eights. Do that several times and you'll see that this pops almost all the air bubbles.

Air bubbles have never been an issue until I just tried the CK Products High Ratio Buttercream Icing recipe on the cake I just did for a twin baby shower. It was full of air bubbles and very greasy!!!! That thing gave me a fit!! Live & learn!

PS..I have never, not even once, sifted my powdered sugar!! icon_biggrin.gif

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 27 Feb 2005 , 1:00am
post #5 of 9

I mix everything accept the sugar for several minutes until creamy and well incorporated. I add my sugar and mix on low for just a moment or so, until all the sugar is wet and will no longer fly about. I then turn it to high and mix for just a few minutes, maybe 5. I also then run a spatula through it before using.

I have found the powdered sugar on the west coast to be very clumpy compared to the powdered sugar on the east coast, even though they are the same brand. On the east coast I never sifted. here I sift 10 times or so. It is also very difficult to find 10x sugar here. Anyway, last trip to NC I brought back several boxes of 10x powdered sugar. I thought it was my imagination, but even my instructor here saw the difference.

So, it's one of those I don't necessarily understand, I just know it is... at least for me.

montanakate Posted 28 Feb 2005 , 8:54pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks for all the tips, I hope that my next project turns out better.

awela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awela Posted 3 Mar 2005 , 12:23am
post #7 of 9

When I started decorating cakes, I had problem with the bubbles in the icing where they sort of exploded right at the wrong time and ruined my work. I read in the Sugarcraft webpage that this was "caused by mixing at the wrong speed - in order to avoid the problem everything should be mixed at the lowest speed". With all honesty I could say that since I tried it, bubbles have never been a problem again.

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 3 Mar 2005 , 1:22am
post #8 of 9

Wow!! I've never seen an icing bubble explode. If it weren't so serious it would almost be funny. But I know it was very sad for you. I would have been beside myself.

I'm so glad you found what works for you.

awela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awela Posted 3 Mar 2005 , 2:17am
post #9 of 9

Sorry, I should have used the word "burst" instead. But anyway the meaning is relative the same for both words. Thank you for your comment.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%