Help! Im Having A Hard Time With My Cricut Cake

Decorating By kaylynndo Updated 20 Aug 2011 , 3:17pm by leafO

kaylynndo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylynndo Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 3:55am
post #1 of 2

Does any one know why does my blade on my Cricut drag my fondant? What am I doing wrong here? I tried both Wilton fondant and SI. I put shortening on my sheet and still drag. This is driving me nuts! Please help with advice =(

1 reply
leafO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leafO Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 3:17pm
post #2 of 2

Usually when my blade drags my fondant it means, I rolled it too thick, or I didn't adhere it the the mat well enough.

Here's a couple of things that have helped for me:

I roll out my fondant on a separate mat (one of those flexi ones you can get at the dollar store). Then I put it on the greased cricut mat and roll some more till it's really thin. This helps it adhere to the mat really well, helps me get it really super thin, and avoids the 'bare spot' where the crisco has all rubbed away and disappeared from the center of the mat from rolling the fondant out.

It also helps to let it sit for a while after it has been rolled on the mat. For me usually 10 to 15 min is enough time for the fondant to firm up a bit and become less stretchy.

once it's cut, I take off the excess and then take off my shapes using a toothpick or palate knife to get underneath and lift each one off the mat. It the cuts are very intricate, I put them in the freezer for a few moments before taking them off the mat.

hth icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%