How Do You Store Your Cupcakes Until Ready For Delivery?

Baking By CupcakeQT82 Updated 26 Aug 2011 , 9:07am by amaryllis756

CupcakeQT82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakeQT82 Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 3:40am
post #1 of 10

I am not sure if this is discussed on here. I never know if it's better to put the cupcakes fully made and ready in a container with a lid where it's mostly airtight or are cardboard boxes okay? I always worry about them getting stale, even for one day, in cardboard boxes because I am big on freshness. Any input would help!

9 replies
Mme_K Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mme_K Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 3:53am
post #2 of 10

I store them in air tight containers. They stay fresh for days. I've tried it with leftovers, and even after 2-3 days, they still taste great.
HTH thumbs_up.gif

CupcakeQT82 Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 4:02am
post #3 of 10

So, if in airtight containers, what if you have orders of 100+ cupcakes? Should I purchase tons of wrapping paper tupperware boxes? LOL

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 4:11am
post #4 of 10

Cake boxes with cardboard cupcake spacers wrapped in plastic wrap works for us if it will be more than a day or so before delivery. If it's more than 3 days we put them in the freezer until 24 hours before delivery.

amaryllis756 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amaryllis756 Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 7:40am
post #5 of 10

I store them in plastic containers and in the fridge. Jason_Kraft- do you freeze them completely deocrated? I have never tried that. I use SMBC would that freeze ok? I know it gets pretty hard when in the fridge. I guess I didn't realize you could freeze them after decorating. Do they come out ok? What about condensation?

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 12:24pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllis756

I store them in plastic containers and in the fridge. Jason_Kraft- do you freeze them completely deocrated? I have never tried that. I use SMBC would that freeze ok? I know it gets pretty hard when in the fridge. I guess I didn't realize you could freeze them after decorating. Do they come out ok? What about condensation?

Yes, we freeze them fully decorated (unless they have fondant), never had a condensation problem as long as you let them thaw in the fridge instead of room temp.

We only use egg-free/dairy-free buttercream so I don't know how SMBC freezes.

CupcakeQT82 Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 4:16pm
post #7 of 10

Thanks, all~ I didn't get a chance to get cupcake boxes for this order of 100 cupcakes so they are spread between multiple boxes/containers. Kind of embarassing and I'm praying the appearance of the delivery wont' matter! (Next time I'll definitely use them even if for 100+ cupcakes). But I put them in our cooler basement covered overnight because it was quite warm last night and read that putting them in the fridge could dry them out. They look good as of now!

Lemmers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lemmers Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 12:20pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Quote:

I have frozen iMBC which I believe is the same ingredient wise as SMBC and it came out fine (although did need re-whipping to use). I would imagine it would freeze ok ready decorated, but don't quote me on it!!

PoodleDoodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PoodleDoodle Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 1:03pm
post #9 of 10

I'm not a fan of how the Reynolds Wrap silver cupcake liners look but they definately keep cupcakes a lot fresher than the paper ones. I put decorated cupcakes in cupcake boxes with divider & wrap the box in plastic food wrap - saran wrap and refrigerate or freeze.

amaryllis756 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amaryllis756 Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 9:07am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllis756

Yes, we freeze them fully decorated (unless they have fondant), never had a condensation problem as long as you let them thaw in the fridge instead of room temp.

Thanks Jason for your answer. I will have to try it. It is mostly butter, egg whites freeze great, so maybe it will work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%