I Don't Know What To Do :(

Lounge By coloradoflower Updated 3 Sep 2011 , 6:19pm by jennifercullen

coloradoflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coloradoflower Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 2:27am
post #1 of 16

I made zucchini cupcakes with caramel frosting, cause we had harvested tons of zucchini from our garden. I sent them with hubby to work. It was a huge hit!
Ok here's the bad part the Warden abosultly loved them, wrote hi
A thank you note, hunted him down just to say thank you. My problem is now she wants the recipe. I had no idea she would try them since my hubby is just a CO. I want to open my own bakery someday so I am using hubby's co- workers ad guinea pigs. If it was any one else I would say no to it's a family recipe. But it's The Warden asking. What do I do?? E
What would y'all do?

15 replies
Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 3:38am
post #2 of 16

Give her a recipe that is close and will work. It doesn't have to be exactly as you make it. If she says they taste difference you can tell her it could be in the ingredients. Not all zucchinis are the same. This goes for butter, eggs, even water.

It's just a suggestion. icon_smile.gif

Michele

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 4:54am
post #3 of 16

I don't care if the Pope asks, I just say that it's a family recipe and that I'm sorry, I can't give it out to anyone--and I don't.

Rae

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 5:41am
post #4 of 16

Do it Martha Stewart style...leave one thing out.

I do think you'd better give her some recipe, even if it's not your recipe. I know I'd have to, in your situation...wouldn't want to think that I made my husband's tough job any more difficult.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 10:30am
post #5 of 16

...............Do it Martha Stewart style...leave one thing out. .........

Oh Please! icon_sad.gif
Would YOU want someone to do that to you?

I go for the 'family secret' idea and offer a similar recipe.

JamAndButtercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamAndButtercream Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 11:05am
post #6 of 16

Don't give her the recipe, be nice, but say you couldn't possibly because you plan to open your own bakery!

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 3:20pm
post #7 of 16

I just thought of something. Many times when I make something new and I am asked for the recipe I tell them that I really don't have one because I just made it up and I didn't write down the steps as I went along. This is true. I experiment all the time and I just wing it.

Maybe you could tell her the same sort of the thing.

Michele

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 3:26pm
post #8 of 16

Is it a recipe that you created or tweeked? If so then I would write her a not back, "telling her how much you are glad she liked it." Then just explain that you are in the process of testing and tweeking recipes for the business you hope to start.

If it is just a recipe you found online that millions of others have also found, then just tell her where she can find it. "Oh that recipe I found it on such and such site."

I can't even begin to count the number of times I have been asked for a recipe, only to not remember to send it and not get asked again. So you can always forget about the request for not.

I wouldn't freak out about it. I doubt she'd take it out on your husband just cause you didn't give her a recipe, if she did that would be an abuse of power.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 9:24pm
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

I can't even begin to count the number of times I have been asked for a recipe, only to not remember to send it and not get asked again. So you can always forget about the request for not.

I ignore recipe requests frequently, too. I honestly think that most of the time people ask as a form of compliment and don't really care if you give it to them or not. Most of the people who ask for mine would never go to the time and trouble I do when cooking/baking anyway. Kind of like the people who say you should start a cake business, open a restaurant, go on Challenge, etc. Just their way of complimenting you but they don't really mean it.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 12:52am
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

Oh Please! icon_sad.gif

I do it when someone asks for one of my recipes. If it's a recipe that I got online, I just give it to them...but if it's a recipe that I've spent a long time perfecting, I don't tell anyone everything that's in it. For example, I have a great oatmeal raisin cookie recipe. People always ask for it and I give it to them...but there's 1/2 tsp of flavoring in the recipe that makes all the difference, and I don't tell them about that part. Let them tinker with the recipe for a year and figure it out the way I did.

If this was a regular boss in a regular work environment, I'd be telling the OP to just say it's a secret recipe...but this particular boss is not going to be used to someone telling her no. I'd be worried about the boss making things more difficult for the husband...and even if she didn't, any time he had any kind of trouble at work, he'd be thinking it was because he ticked off the warden.

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 10:49pm
post #11 of 16

Having worked corrections, wardens are just not that sensitive, period. They have WAY more dangerous things to think about then getting hung up on a recipe. And if my warden was like that, I would transfer, cause my life is too valuable to be in the hands of warden who runs their prison with a petty attitude. By the way wardens do get told no.

LaurenLuLu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaurenLuLu Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 12:17am
post #12 of 16

I rarely use recipes, more of an intuitive baker. When people ask me how I made something I say "about 2 cups of flour, around a cup of sugar", that sort of thing. Although it's true for me, you could tell her the same.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 4:07am
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

Oh Please! icon_sad.gif

I agree. That's a hateful thing to do.

jennifercullen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifercullen Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 12:59pm
post #14 of 16

On the note of leaving out an ingredient, I think it depends what is in it. If you have a kind of special secret ingredient that won't make any difference to the way the cake bakes like a spoon full of ketchup lol then fair enough, if I got a recipe off someone and it didn't taste the same when I baked it I wouldn't think they tampered with the recipe I would just think it was to do with the way I had made them or the ingredients I used.

She might not have even tried the kind of flavours before, but really liked them, so in that case she probably wouldn't notice if you left out the secret ingredient or gave her a similar recipe off the internet.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 4:15pm
post #15 of 16

Regardless, deceitfulness is never a positive quality in any person or situation. I don't understand why it's so hard to just say, "Oh, I'm sorry. Because I do this for a living, I just don't share my secret recipes with anybody." Or make a joke of it and use the worn out, "If I told you, I'd have to kill you..." and people get the idea.

Personally, I don't get the whole not sharing recipes thing. Chances are, no matter how clever or original you think you are, it's probably been done before and is probably available somewhere on the internet. I always share my recipes when people ask for them. I don't feel threatened in any way by the idea that they could bake something at home as well as I did. Big deal. If it were a direct competitor, I'd just say, "Sorry, you'll have to research and test your own recipes just like I did."

jennifercullen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifercullen Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 6:19pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Quote:

Personally, I don't get the whole not sharing recipes thing. Chances are, no matter how clever or original you think you are, it's probably been done before

I agree with this, I only make simple sponge cakes at the moment so there's not much to share anyway, but unless it was for someone who was a direct competitor (not likely as I'm not a business, but if I was..) I wouldnt mind giving my recipe away. I dont think its really going to harm your business because if she feels like baking the cupcakes and doesnt want to pay for them she will bake them whether she has your recipe or one from the internet. If she doesnt want to bake, she will buy them from you, whether or not she has the recipe. If it were my recipe I would share anyway.

I've just realised this thread was started a few days ago. Did you tell her the recipe or not?? icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%