Opinions On Using Extra Virgin Olive Oil In Batter?

Baking By StormyHaze Updated 24 Aug 2011 , 12:17pm by Jennifer353

StormyHaze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StormyHaze Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 9:02pm
post #1 of 8

I just tried it in this recipe, and it was kind of a turn off.. I thik ill use regular vegetable oil instead, much lest distracting:

http://catiescakesandcookies.blogspot.com/2010/01/recipe-of-week-hazelnut-de-light.html

I must say i really like the frangelico in it.

Anyways, opinions on using olive oil in your cake? Do you have a recipe where it works for you?

7 replies
StormyHaze Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 9:10pm
post #2 of 8

i think ill only use it in savory baking recipes

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 9:14pm
post #3 of 8

EVOO is first pressing, so the color and flavor are very strong. If you want to try using olive oil, go with a light olive oil, which comes from a later pressing, and has less flavor and color.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

StormyHaze Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 9:17pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

EVOO is first pressing, so the color and flavor are very strong. If you want to try using olive oil, go with a light olive oil, which comes from a later pressing, and has less flavor and color.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

I was thinking about switching it for vegetable oil. And i wish i had used a lighter olive oil, but silly me i followed the recipe exactly instead of doing what i thought would be better. >__<

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 9:44pm
post #5 of 8

I have a recipe specifically called "olive oil cake" (pissota con l'oio), Italian. It's supposed to be the signature dessert at some local restaurant in the Valpolicella region, and it's made with local extra-virgin olive oil and flavored with a house liqueur (*sigh* a secret ingredient, restaurant didn't want to tell).

The recipe in the magazine was flavored with Grand Marnier and lemon zest. It has 3/4 cup of EVOO. I love it.

SweetSuzieQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSuzieQ Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 10:13pm
post #6 of 8

Is the recipe for personal consumption or something you were thinking of offering as a flavor? The reason I ask is, if it is just for you, change it up and, add veg oil but, if offering as a flavor, I would have it taste tested by others to get some more opinions. I know that there are some flavors that I offer that I personally don't like and, wouldn't make for myself but, are loved by many.

Generally, when I test a new flavor, I do up about 3 dozen and, disperse them to friends and family (a good assortment) and, have them give me feedback since I don't want to limit myself by only offering things that I like.

StormyHaze Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 10:46pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSuzieQ

Is the recipe for personal consumption or something you were thinking of offering as a flavor? The reason I ask is, if it is just for you, change it up and, add veg oil but, if offering as a flavor, I would have it taste tested by others to get some more opinions. I know that there are some flavors that I offer that I personally don't like and, wouldn't make for myself but, are loved by many.

Generally, when I test a new flavor, I do up about 3 dozen and, disperse them to friends and family (a good assortment) and, have them give me feedback since I don't want to limit myself by only offering things that I like.

Very good information you gave me, thank you.

And it was a bit of both, for personal and an offering. The more targeted flavor i was looking for was hazelnut, not olive oil. I just tried the cupcakes again with a little nutella, and couldnt even taste the olive oil anymore. Which makes me wonder if i should bother swapping the oils (though olive is more expensive).. What would you do?

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 12:17pm
post #8 of 8

Would you be able to use the olive as a "health benefit" selling point of "no saturated fat" or something?
If not, have you tried the recipe with vegetable yet? Compared to the olive and nutella which is better? I'd probably go with that!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%