Clean Cuts In Fondant And Gumpaste

Decorating By prancy Updated 20 Aug 2011 , 5:27pm by fondantgrl

prancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prancy Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 6:13pm
post #1 of 10

Sometimes I have an issue when I cut fondant or gumpaste (with cutters): the edges look scraggly. I have tried to let it sit out and harden just a bit, but that just makes the cutters hard to push in. How do you guys get clean lines and cuts?

9 replies
mariacakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariacakestoo Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 6:16pm
post #2 of 10

Push down on fresh gumpaste or fondant to make your cut. Then without lifting that cutter, rub around on the surface of tabletop in a circle a few times to get rid of the scragglies. Then unmold whatever you just cut.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 7:28pm
post #3 of 10

Make sure the cutter is clean too. After a few cuts the fondant will start to stick to it and you'll get the ugly edges.

For tricky pieces like daisies, you can turn the cutter upside down, lay the fondant on top of it, and roll over it with your rolling pin. Then rub your fingers around to get the edges smooth.

Wilton also has a little soft brush in their most recent set of gumpaste tools that works pretty well for cleaning up edges of cutouts.

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 1:32am
post #4 of 10

I do Texas s rolling pin trick and sometimes still have to clean up the cut with my exacto knife.

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 3:30pm
post #5 of 10

Right now I'm only a hobby baker, so when I purchased my cutters I just purchased the Wilton cutters because of the price. But, now the laws have changed in my state and I'm wondering if the higher-end cutter would provide a better cut? But, as we all know, a higher price doesn't always mean a better quality product.

Any thoughts?

mariacakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariacakestoo Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 3:35pm
post #6 of 10

Wilton products generally suck all the way around. However, there are a couple of basic cutters (the pink flower ones) that I do the method described above with, and have perfect cuts everytime.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 4:40pm
post #7 of 10

I actually prefer the Wilton cutters to the more expensive metal ones. The newer Wilton gumpaste set has decent-sized flowers and the cutters are all labeled with what they make. I also like Jem cutters but it's just as hard to get a nice edge with those.

I don't usually rub the cutter around to get clean edges because it makes the shape smaller.

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 4:49pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

I actually prefer the Wilton cutters to the more expensive metal ones. The newer Wilton gumpaste set has decent-sized flowers and the cutters are all labeled with what they make. I also like Jem cutters but it's just as hard to get a nice edge with those.

I don't usually rub the cutter around to get clean edges because it makes the shape smaller.

Mine do the same thing Texas_Rose. Maybe I'm too heavy-handed LOL

lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 5:17pm
post #9 of 10

In my limited experience, I've found I've had better success with metal versus plastic cutting tools.

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 5:27pm
post #10 of 10

I use the pizza cutter.. for small jobs, I use Exacto knife..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%