Probably A Dumb Question But...styrofoam Cake Risers?

Decorating By srkmilklady Updated 19 Aug 2011 , 6:50pm by srkmilklady

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 3:19pm
post #1 of 4

I will be making a 3 tier wedding cake and need 2 inch risers between the tiers. I have never used styrofoam risers between cake tiers before and just wondered if they need to be wrapped (with plastic wrap) before putting between tiers or do they need to be put onto cake boards before being put on the tiers? I will be attaching ribbon to the sides of the risers, but am just not sure about the styrofoam that will be sitting on the fondant covered cake itself. Also as far as stability, I will use bubble tea straws in the cake tiers, but do I need to dowel through the cake from top to bottom?

Thanks!

3 replies
boomerangbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boomerangbaker Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 3:29pm
post #2 of 4

I've used them and I glue cake boards to the bottom only since the top won't touch cake, it touches the cake board of the cake above it.
I also use a dowel through the entire cake.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 3:38pm
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by srkmilklady

I have never used styrofoam risers between cake tiers before and just wondered if they need to be wrapped (with plastic wrap) before putting between tiers or do they need to be put onto cake boards before being put on the tiers?

The plastic wrap is up to you... the cake boards are necessary otherwise they'll be pierced by your support system from the weight of above tiers. (I don't think the plastic wrap is necessary since you'll be using ribbon.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by srkmilklady

do I need to dowel through the cake from top to bottom?

This is normally helpful when transporting, but with dummies, you could use a few skewers, RI, BC, chocolate, or your "glue" choice.

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 6:50pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you both for your help! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%