Chocolate Cake - Pudding Mix??

Baking By LoveMyKalystAmicio Updated 20 Aug 2011 , 3:18pm by MyDiwa

LoveMyKalystAmicio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMyKalystAmicio Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 2:53pm
post #1 of 5

I'm making my daughter a chocolate (Justin Bieber) birthday cake and I want it to be phenomenal. I've heard you can add pudding mix to the cake batter to make it more moist. Is that going to make it too sweet?
Also - What is your favorite kind of frosting to put between the layers of a chocolate cake?
Thanks so much! icon_smile.gif

4 replies
MyDiwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyDiwa Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 3:11pm
post #2 of 5

I have only used pudding mix in a WASC chocolate cake, not in a scratch recipe. Hopefully someone else can chime in on that.

For the filling, I love Macsmom's chocolate truffle over a layer of raspberry preserves with chocolate cake. I have been wanting to try a peanut butter filling though.

LoveMyKalystAmicio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMyKalystAmicio Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 3:31pm
post #3 of 5

That actually sounds pretty intimidating to me on the filling...haha
This is my first cake. I'm looking for something a bit more simple...
That's definitely something I'll try as I get better and more daring though icon_smile.gif It sounds delicious!

katj012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katj012 Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 3:33pm
post #4 of 5

I have a chocolate cake on my site here (I just shared this yesterday too!) You can take or leave the chocolate chips, but the cake itself is AWESOME. It's one of those recipes you can find on a lot of baking blogs - and I have made several choco-cakes in my time, and this is by FAR the best. It is a good flavor, a moist cake - just perfect.
http://katssweetsomethings.com/2011/08/04/chocolate-chocolate-chip-cake/

As for filling - it depends on the person. Lately I've been into vanilla frosting mixed with mini-chocolate chips for filling chocolate cakes. I have also recently done strawberry buttercream, and that was a pretty big hit. I just love super-yummy vanilla buttercream with chocolate cake icon_smile.gif

MyDiwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyDiwa Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 3:18pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyKalystAmicio

That actually sounds pretty intimidating to me on the filling...haha
This is my first cake. I'm looking for something a bit more simple...
That's definitely something I'll try as I get better and more daring though icon_smile.gif It sounds delicious!

Oh, don't be - it's really very simple. TRUST ME! The chocolate truffle is just chocolate chips melted in the microwave with butter; cream cheese beaten separately; mix all this together, add powdered sugar and vanilla extract. That's it. For the preserves I just buy the one in the sleeves and spread that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%