Rice Paper Butterflies - Help Needed

Decorating By LisaPeps Updated 30 Aug 2011 , 2:25pm by Staryberry

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 2:07pm
post #1 of 4

I have ordered some rice paper butterflies from eBay, they have come and are perfect. I'm making a giant cupcake cake and will be putting the butterflies on the buttercream. I use IMBC for my buttercream, this doesn't crust. Will this affect the butterflies? As the slightest bit of moisture seems to disintegrate them...

Also, in all the tutorials I have read, there is a step which says to smear piping gel on to the butterflies. Is this a necessary step? Does it help with the moisture issues? I don't have piping gel to hand but I could order it if it is absolutely necessary.

One last question, the lady is picking the cake up the evening before the birthday girls day... I'm assuming it will be served on the evening so the cake will be all set up for approximately 24hours. Will they last that long on the cake or would it be better to give the butterflies to the lady and tell her to put them on (I don't like this option but if it is a necessity...). I can't have her pick up on the actual day as I am working until 9pm.

Any help would be appreciated, TIA!

3 replies
Staryberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Staryberry Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 4:36pm
post #2 of 4

The pipeing gel gives the butterflies a shiny, translucent look but I don't think it would help with your particular problem. Because, if anything, adds a little moisture to the butterfly wings.

Perhaps the easiest solution would be to mount the butterflies on little gumpaste or fondant flowers. This would lift the wings slightly away from the buttercream.

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 2:07pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks For your reply. I piped out dots of chocolate and stuck the butterflies on that. Just in case anyone has this issue in the future, the butterflies do not change/dissolve when placed on IMBC.

Staryberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Staryberry Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 2:25pm
post #4 of 4

Great! I am glad it worked out for you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%