Making My Own Wedding Cake

Decorating By beesteacher Updated 20 Aug 2011 , 4:45pm by beesteacher

beesteacher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beesteacher Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 1:31pm
post #1 of 5

I hope nobody minds me asking such a lot of questions on my first post but after browsing the forums you all have such lovely ideas that I'm sure you'll be able to answer them.
I am getting marrid next year and have decided to make my own cake as our buget is so tight. I love the cakes with ribbon bows and brooches attached to them. Such as this one http://www.flickr.com/photos/cakesbyoccasion/5681092802/

Can anybody tell me how to attach the brooch onto the bow. I have done a few cakes and have always make the bow separately and used double sided sticky tape to attach it to the ribbon around the cake but would this be strong enough with a brooch attached to the bow?

Also I am getting marrid in the lakes and live in leeds. Would I be best to stack the 3 cakes before travelling or to do it when I get to my venue?

Sorry again for the really long post and thanks so much (in advance) for your help.

4 replies
patjobes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patjobes Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 5:42pm
post #2 of 5

i would personally put the cake up on site, but bear in mind that you will be realy busy getting married, if you must take it stacked make sure it is properly dowelled or have a good stacking system in place as for the broach if you did a proper bow that is not stuck on with double sided it should hold fine, it is a very pretty cake congratulations and good luck

beesteacher Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 6:51pm
post #3 of 5

Thankyou for the reply, sorry to be a bit thick but can someone point me in the right direction for doing the ribbon and bow please?

I'm confident with the dowel and stacking but always do my bows in 2 parts and do not think that this would hold with the brooch attached.

creativethoughts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
creativethoughts Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 7:08pm
post #4 of 5

I would just Hot glue it to the ribbon after you have tied the bow! It seems like the best way to get it where you want it and maybe coverup if your bow is not perfect!

beesteacher Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 4:45pm
post #5 of 5

Thankyou, Also sorry for the lack of e's in my first post. The E on my keyboard is a bit sticky!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%