Double Yolked Eggs

Baking By FrecklesCakes Updated 22 Aug 2011 , 1:27pm by Baker_Rose

FrecklesCakes Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 3:20am
post #1 of 5

Don't know if this is a silly question to you or not...

What do you do when you get a double yolked egg? Do you remove a yolk, minus an egg from the recipe, leave it in, don't use the egg at all or something else completely???

The reason I ask is, I buy my eggs from a free range farm nearby and every now and then have a double yolk egg but this time... recipe/batter asked for 8 eggs and 6 of them were double!! YES SIX of the eight! I haven't checked the rest of the carton. (and one of the other two had a really big yolk)

Just wondering what you do icon_smile.gif

4 replies
Sugarflowers Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 3:32am
post #2 of 5

I just use double yolk eggs as is. I've never had a problem with them.

Each time I get a double yolk I consider it good luck. Someone told me this so many years ago that I can't remember who it was. So I guess you were REALLY lucky with so many double yolks. icon_smile.gif

Michele

jules5000 Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 3:36am
post #3 of 5

I would think that there would be no differences with one or two double yolks in a recipe with out altering, but six? I would guess that I would have to measure out the amount of a double yolk egg on the liquid and the yolks and then find one that was not double and do the same. If it measured out the same then I would not change anything, but it just seems strange to me that you would not make an adjustment for 6 double yolks?

FrecklesCakes Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 3:49am
post #4 of 5

haha I know - it was so many. I have heard the goodluck saying for double eggs too so YAY icon_smile.gif

Thanks ladies icon_smile.gif

and Jules I might try that next time just for fun. icon_smile.gif

Baker_Rose Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 1:27pm
post #5 of 5

Usually a double yolked egg has two smaller than usual yolks. But, the issue would be if the egg itself is larger than usual. If your recipe calls for large sized eggs, large or extra large would work fine. BUT, the double yolked eggs that my girls have given me over the years have been VERY large, some weigh as much as 3 1/2 to 4 ounces EACH!! If I use those super jumbo eggs I weigh them and adjust the recipe accordingly. Usually it means using the super jumbo egg with another egg that is unusually small, more of a medium size to even out in the recipe.

When I pack up eggs for my egg customers and I have a super jumbo egg I also include a smaller egg next to it to even the total out. When I have a larger proportion of young hens they give very small or very large eggs, so I try to make things even for the egg customers in case they bake as well. So far, in 8 years no one has complained.

Some breeds throw double yolkers more often. When I tried the Red-Sex Link hybrids I saw more double yolkers than I do now with my large heritage breeds.

A double yolk is usually a sign of an immature hen, although some just seem to release two yolks on a regular basis. Maybe get into the habit of cracking each egg into a little dish and making sure that the proportion of yolk to white is right before using it in the recipe. That way if you think the yolks are too big or too many you can pull them out and use them for something else instead of in your recipe.

Gotta love those hard working girls!!

Tami icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%