Help With First Wedding Cake Planning

Decorating By cantthinkofsomethingwitty Updated 19 Aug 2011 , 4:17pm by AnnieCahill

cantthinkofsomethingwitty Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 12:10am
post #1 of 9

I am making my first wedding cake for my friend's wedding (Aug 27). It's going to be huge--6 tiers. I just want to make sure that my plan for completing this in time sounds okay to those of you who've done this before, plus a few other questions. Part of my reasoning for doing things this way is transportation issues. I live 3 hours away from the wedding location, and because my mom lives close to the location, I am using her house for baking, freezing, and decorating.

I am going to do all my baking this Friday night/Saturday, fill and crumb coat them, and freeze them until next week. Is this okay? What do I use to cover them in the freezer--aluminum or plastic wrap?

I will make all my icing during the week and keep it in the fridge. I will take the icing to my mom's on Thursday night and ice, smooth, and imprint the tiers with a quilt pattern. On Friday, I will stack the layers in two's for transport (stack the bottom 2 together, the middle 2 together, and the top 2 together). On Saturday, I will transport the cake, complete the construction at the reception site, and apply the ribbon and fresh flowers.

Does this time frame sound reasonable?
Do you have any tips for transporting the cake?
Will it still taste okay after being frozen for a week?
How do I apply fresh flowers on the cake (white buttercream).
Do you have any tips for construction? What method do you find to be best? (I have only used wooden dowels in the past.)
ANY WEDDING CAKE TIPS ARE APPRECIATED!! Thank you so much!

8 replies
Audrey551 Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 12:24am
post #2 of 9

Funny, I was just checking this out myself as I have my grandson's wedding Sept. 24
check this site out http://www.wikihow.com/Freeze-Cakes
for freezing cakes very informative.

My cake is the upside down wedding cake but only 4 tiers I have been planning for a few months, lots of research for fillings, fondant and buttercream. I am making two 12x 18 with buttercream as some people may not like the fondant. (Also when the kids started planning this wedding it was only 150 people now it is 250 people.

If you need any other help please feel free to contact me.

CWR41 Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 12:38am
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantthinkofsomethingwitty

Do you have any tips for construction?

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/tiered-cakes/stacked-tiered-cake-construction.cfm

cantthinkofsomethingwitty Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 1:05am
post #6 of 9

Thank you for the links!
Do you think the wooden dowel rod method of construction will be sturdy enough for 6 tiers?

Another question:

I was planning on using round pan sizes 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, and 16 inches. Do you think that will look funny? It will only leave one inch on each side of the next tier down, but I don't know what else to do. I have all these pans and my oven won't hold a pan bigger than 16 inches.

jules5000 Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 1:50am
post #7 of 9

can'tthinkofsomethingwitty: As far as the stacked construction goes my suggestion is this. If you have time. Got to yummyarts.com and get your free trial month and go to the library and there are some videos there that Susan Carberry tells how she does stacked construction. It is very helpful I have learned a lot. I think it is also mentioned on the tools tab somewhere. I have never put together a wedding cake that big, but the one big one I did, I did not have an oven big enough to bake a 16" square so I had to bake 4-8" squares and put them together and then do a stacked construction of 2 more tiers on top. I wish I had known then the method that she uses. I had a lot of other challenges as well that day, but the rest of your schedule sounds great. I would also suggest that you write yourself a list of everything you will need at the site of the wedding reception when you put the cake together officially. I know myself that I can mentally picture everything I am going to need and then still forget one very important item. this will save you frustration later. Just check them all off and then you won't have to even go back to your mom's for anything. I am sure that there are a lot of girls on here that can give you very helpful tips as well. God bless.

TinkerCakes Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 2:44am
post #8 of 9

Man, I am stressing for you!!! I would google each of your questions and add "cake central" to the end, it's alot better than using the search on CC.

I had extra practice cake and it was frozen for about a month (wrapped in ALOT of plastic wrap then in aluminum foil).....it ended up being wonderful!!!

I wish I could help you more but I'm fairly new myself. I feel like I have been in school for months reading all this info online and watching tutorials!!! Best of luck to you!

AnnieCahill Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 4:17pm
post #9 of 9

I always freeze my cakes. Plastic wrap, then aluminum foil. Never any issues. I have frozen them for at least two months and they have been great.

Your time frame is reasonable, but I would have started baking a loooong time ago. I would have had my BC made this weekend that way you could relax before the big day.

For construction, I think you are too late to do SPS. I have never used wooden dowels but I have used the plastic dowels from Wilton or bubble tea straws (or wide ones that they use for smoothies from Panera) and those are VERY strong.

For transportation, just keep the cakes flat. Keep in mind that you are still transporting three stacked cakes so you will probably want to drive very carefully so the top tiers don't shift.

For the fresh flowers, you can look at the flower spikes by Wilton (if they are to be stuck inside the cake) or if you are laying the flowers on the cake then just put some waxed paper on the buttercream and put the flowers on top.

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%