Covering Ganache-Iced Cake With Fondant--Asap

Decorating By BeeSweetBakeshoppe Updated 19 Aug 2011 , 12:56am by Cakeopoly

BeeSweetBakeshoppe Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 11:47pm
post #1 of 4

Hey guys, I'm using ganache for the first time under MMF. Right now my cakes are covered with the ganache and at fridge-temp. Do I need to bring them to room temperature before putting the fondant on, or do I put that on cold? Do I need to brush clear alcohol or anything on the ganache before adding the fondant? Thanks in advance for your help!!

3 replies
Bonnell Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 11:54pm
post #2 of 4

I usually use ganache under my fondant and love it. You don't need to bring the cake to room temp before applying your fondant but the fondant will get "chilled" by the ganache and may get a little tacky to touch. This hasn't caused me any problems however.

I boil a little water in the microwave and lightly brush the ganache with it before applying the fondant. This helps the fondant adhere to the cake better than anything else I have tried. The heat of the water softens just the very top of the ganache.

QTCakes1 Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 12:53am
post #3 of 4

NO! The heat of your hand will take care of all of that. In fact I just finished covering one about 2 hrs. ago. If you do let it come to room temp., boy will you have a mess.

Cakeopoly Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 12:56am
post #4 of 4

I second the hot water, it helps the fondant adhere really well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%