Useful Tip For Those Without A Clay Extruder Gun

Decorating By mumof3 Updated 19 Aug 2011 , 11:19am by JuliSchulze

mumof3 Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 9:43pm
post #1 of 6

Hope this helps icon_biggrin.gif

(though chances are that you guys may do this already..... icon_redface.gif )

I dont have a clay extruder gun, and needed some long snakes/ropes, for a graduation cake(In my photos). I was getting fed up of rolling out snakes, as I never achieved an even thickness. So instead, I placed some fondant in an icing bag and microwaved it for 20 seconds, enough for the fondant to become soft. I then kneaded the fondant, snipped off the end of the bag and piped the fondant onto a mat. You can achieve different thickness by varying how much you snip off the icing bag.

Hope this makes sense! : icon_wink.gif

5 replies
DivaJai Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 6:32am
post #2 of 6

I plan to buy an extruder soon but this is great advice icon_smile.gif I just tried it and it worked like a charm although it was a bit hard to press out of the piping bag icon_sad.gif

AngelFood4 Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 7:09am
post #3 of 6

I like to roll out using a fondant smoother - works quickly and perfectly each time for me.

shaekae81 Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 8:05am
post #4 of 6

That is a fantastic idea...I will try that next time. I have not tried the fondant smoother, but I have used pieces of cakeboard (the shiny side) to roll an even thickness before.

Also, I've learned that modeling chocolate lends itself to even ropes a LOT easier than fondant.

mumof3 Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 9:25am
post #5 of 6

DivaJai. Try another blast in the microwave. When the fondant is warm it is very easy to push through the bag.

JuliSchulze Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 11:19am
post #6 of 6

Another trick while trying to roll out a snake is once you get the fondant partially rolled you can place an object next to the fondant for example a pencil and continue rolling both the fondant and the pencil next to each other. You'll end up with a snake the same circumference as the pencil. Then use the fondant smoother, piece of cardboard to finish the rolling process

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%