Can You Check My First Tier Cake?

Decorating By Angelfoodcake Updated 18 Aug 2011 , 10:09pm by Unlimited

Angelfoodcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angelfoodcake Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 9:28pm
post #1 of 7

Hi: This is my first tier cake! What do you think?
All advices and tips are welcome.The cake is vanilla,almond cake with buttecream icing, and ganache filling.The roses were made with royal icing.
Thanks! icon_smile.gif

6 replies
Jess155 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jess155 Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 9:36pm
post #2 of 7

You know what? That's a lot better than MY first tiered cake. It looks really nice! Advice? I'd say just keep practicing smoothing the buttercream and make your roses with more depth. Flat roses look like cabbagesicon_smile.gif Great job though!!

mariacakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariacakestoo Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 9:41pm
post #3 of 7

Way better than my first, very very good!

Angelfoodcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angelfoodcake Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 9:52pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks icon_biggrin.gif
Jess How do I get roses with more depth? I tried making the royal icing more stiff but I couldn't pass the tip.when I made it less stiff I could make the rose but when it was drying it lost depth.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 9:56pm
post #5 of 7

Great job! The way to give your roses a bit more depth is to angle the tip out more as you make more petals...your roses should have at least one more row, but with the tip angled out so the petals don't stand up so straight. But they have great form!!!!

cutiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiger Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 10:03pm
post #6 of 7

Mine still don't look that good! Wonderful job!

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 10:09pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess155

I'd say just keep practicing smoothing the buttercream and make your roses with more depth. Flat roses look like cabbagesicon_smile.gif

I agree on both, but still a great cake.

When the rose center collapses inside the rose, closes up and looks rounded, or when the petals are higher than the centerthey tend to look more like cabbages. It's easier to avoid this if you make them on a stick rather than a flat-head rose nail because you start up high on the stick and work your way down. You'll also get more height because the petals are being piped on the stick helping to prop up the rest of the rose rather than trying to fit the outer petals in between the limited space before hitting the flat part of the rose nail.

Also, a cake drum would look more professionalthis looks like a wooden chopping block was covered with plain aluminum foil.

Keep on cakin'!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%