Attaching A Fabric Ribbon To A Buttercream Cake As A Border

Decorating By mbn504 Updated 18 Aug 2011 , 10:48pm by mbn504

mbn504 Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 9:06pm
post #1 of 4

I am working on a three-tier cake that has a fabric ribbon border on two of the layers. A black ribbon with a zebra ribbon on top of it. I have never used fabric on a cake. Can I attach it with buttercream? Can I attach the zebra ribbon on top of the black ribbon with buttercream or do I need to sew it? Thanks for your help!

3 replies
nicunurse Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 9:21pm
post #2 of 4

I would glue the two ribbons together, most glues are non toxic. As far as attaching the ribbon to the cake, some coat the back of the ribbon with shortening so the grease doesn't soak through the ribbon, I place tape on the entire back of my ribbon and secure in the back with RI. HTH icon_smile.gif

lschmitz05 Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 9:37pm
post #3 of 4

I did a cake with a black ribbon and I used pearl pins to attach the ribbon. I just used one pin for each ribbon. It looked really elegant and that is what the lady was going for! It turned out amazing!

mbn504 Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 10:48pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you both! I had decided to use the ironing tape to "glue" the ribbons together. Didn't think about actual glue. That may be easier. I'll be attaching them to the cakes shortly and appreciate your help. Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%