Oy Vey...what A Week....

Lounge By louanne Updated 19 Aug 2011 , 3:32pm by cai0311

louanne Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 7:38pm
post #1 of 17

I am so stressed right now, i busted out with shingles tuesday night all over my scalp, had no idea it was hsingles till i went to the dr yesterday afternoon. Okay, my girls can handle the shop and the three cakes that are due today, well then one of my girls that is actually the stronger decorator breaks out in shingles. I have 50 cupcakes and a small wedding cake ( 2 tiers) that is due for tomorrow and the girls didnt wvwn get around to baking them today. Still trying to keep my cool. when i was informed that my girl who doesnt have shingles, well her husband has "fobidden" her to come to work until the whole place has been sanitized and cont be aorund us until we are completely 100% free of any traces we ever had shingles.

Just to say we are very clean here, we both managed to get shingles becasue both of us have compromised immune systems any ways, but i went to the dr with my friend tuesday morning for cts so we think we both picked it up there.

So now I am trying to fgure out what the heck i am to do for tomorrows orders ( not to mention saturdays orders. I guess i can be thankful that i dont have any big wedding or cake orders, but i cant really work with shingles and the girl who's hubby forbide her to work couldnt do all the cakes on her own anyways.

ugh sorry needed to get it all out Thanks for "listening".

16 replies
louanne Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 8:12pm
post #2 of 17

i have made a few calls to some friends ( they are all at least and hour way though) and havent heard back yet, other local custom bakery is booked completely, so just trying to decide what to do, my hubby suggested i use a rubber cap on my head and gloves, but i am not a chance taker, if HD walked in and found out i had shingles i would be closed down in a heart beat, so i am just sitting at home wishing i could be at work instead.

TinkerCakes Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 8:30pm
post #3 of 17

Yeah, I understand about not taking any chances! It's different than having a little cold and you grab a mask and gloves and get to work. Hopefully one of your friends will call back soon!!! If not, I would start calling those customers...like you said...at least you don't have any big wedding or cake orders.

What a hard situation! Let us know what happens...

louanne Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 8:37pm
post #4 of 17

i figure i will give my friends about another hour to call me back and if i havent heard from anyone i will probablly be sending out the distress signal. If all else fails i can call *shudders* my mother, she can bake but she is not avery good decorator, but i may be able to get her to come and bake and since AR has a cottage food law now get my un-sick girl to decorate at home over skype with me giving direction, ugh, i just keep repeating to myself, this too shall pass, bleh time for meds (5 pills a day)

cakestyles Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 8:37pm
post #5 of 17

Are shingles contagious?

I know it's the same virus as the chicken pox, but when my parents were alive my dad had shingles and none of us including my mom caught it, and we weren't told to stay away from him.

I hope you feel better.

louanne Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 8:40pm
post #6 of 17

shingles are contagious, most people do not catch them unless their immune system is already compromised, or they can cause chicken pox in people who have never had them, old people, babies and pregnant women are most susceptable, A lot of people break out into them as a reaction to stress ( kinda similar to hives) but unfortunatel yes it can be contagious.

kakeladi Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 9:01pm
post #7 of 17

My understanding is that once you break out w/them you are no longer contagious.....but that should be varified by a dr.
I think if you don't get any response I'd go along w/your hubby - that is if the dr agrees.
The other idea of having your mom bake then the un-sick dau doing it w/your help should work.

...........husband has "fobidden" her to come to work until the whole place has been sanitized and cont be aorund us until we are completely 100% free of any traces we ever had shingles...........

Then you will not be seeing them for *months* as it can take a very long time to be 100% free. I have a 90 yr old friend who ended up w/them and it took her almost a year to be completely well.

louanne Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 9:08pm
post #8 of 17

not sure, i know i had to call my SIL because i spent pretty well all day monday with her and my new niece, so i called her bawling and her pediatrician said as long as the baby hadnt had any contact with sore ( which she didnt i wasnt even broken out then and they are on my scalp in my hair) then she would be fine.

i am just torn because i cannot afford to have anything go awry i have only been open 10 months.

Cakegirl74 Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 9:29pm
post #9 of 17

So sorry this has happened to you and so soon after opening your doors. My husband got shingles last year (he has a compromised immune system as well). The doctors told us that it wasn't contagious unless you touched the sores. If your worker doesn't come back until you are completely gone it may be a while. My husband broke out last August and there are still traces a full year later(of course he was told it was one of the worse casse they'd ever seen so that is possibly the reason it's taken so long to get better). Big hugs hopefully eveything will work out for you.

BlakesCakes Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 10:57pm
post #10 of 17

Quoted from the CDC website:

"Shingles cannot be passed from one person to another. However, a person with shingles can transmit the virus that causes shingles to others. If a person who has never had chickenpox is infected with VZV, he or she will develop chickenpox, not shingles."

QTCakes1 Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 11:42pm
post #11 of 17

Thanks for the 411, Blakescakes, but did it mention if it was something you could get more then once?

jules5000 Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 11:54pm
post #12 of 17

you poor girl, we all feel for you. If I were there I would help you out. Un-fortunately I am not. Will say a prayer for you. God bless. Give it to him. You can trust God to work it out. He is amazing!!

BlakesCakes Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 11:59pm
post #13 of 17

Shingles is an eruption, often along the path of a major nerve (we have many on our scalps & faces) that is the result of the dormant chickenpox virus "re-awakening".

It's an affliction of older people (or immuno-compromised people) who had chickenpox at some time in their lives. It can return, especially during times of stress or other major illness. It can take quite awhile to clear up and, sometimes, can lead to chronic pain along the pathway of the inflamed nerve.

You may want to see if the new shingles vaccination is an option for you. It may not be advisable during an outbreak, but perhaps during a dormant period.

Again, it's not contagious the way chickenpox is. The lesions would have to be touched directly by someone who has never had chickenpox or never been vaccinated against chickenpox--a very small segment of the general population over the age of 12 months.

Bonnell Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 11:59pm
post #14 of 17

You can absolutely get shingles more than once - ask me how I know this.

Atomikjen Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 12:15am
post #15 of 17

sorry you have shingles. I was lucky enough to develop this in my 28th week of pregnancy with my daughter. that was not fun at all!

at least certain people at work avoided me like the plague after I found out exactly what it was.

I'm hoping to not develop it again but am guessing that it is likely. Feel better soon!

louanne Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 2:56pm
post #16 of 17

thanks for all the prayers and thoughts, i have a friend who is coming over to help and the lady who i rent my building from ( who had a bakery here before) is going to help pick up some of the slack too, it's all gonna work out, now if i can just stop feeling like i have been hit by a bus.

cai0311 Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 3:32pm
post #17 of 17

I am glad everything is going to work out.

From the age of 5 to 10 years old I had the chicken pox 4 times. Yes, it was confirmed by the doctor every time (once, it was confirmed by 2 different doctors). When I was 10 my mom broke out with shingles. The doctor said if I was immune to chicken pox by now, then that would probably never happen. There was a chance I would break out with chicken pox again by being around my mom but not shingles. Although the same virus they happen for different reasons. I did not have any more chicken pox outbreaks, so I guess for now, the virus is tucked away in my body.

Quote by @%username% on %date%